CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Michael

Old 10-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
Twolunger
Michael

Hope you and Connie are safe. Michael came in with a vengeance, and I'm sure there will be a lot of damage in the area. We barely got any rain down here.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Nanci
Did you see Brett Adair's video on Facebook? Crazy.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
Twolunger
I don't think I would drive around in those conditions. If your vehicle stalls out you are at the mercy of the storm and surge. We stayed with my nephew in Ft. Lauderdale during Irma and he kept going outside to assess the damage, as oak tree limbs were falling all around his driveway. I told him to come inside, as the oak limbs were bringing down power lines. The debris flying around can hit you like a bullet. We found pieces of debris embedded in the side of his home. Then his street flooded, but thankfully, only a couple feet deep.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Nanci
That was his assignment from the media provider he works for.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Twolunger
Tell them to get in the vehicle too. Reminds me of the war correspondents who followed us around in Vietnam. I didn't want to be there but they chose to come. There has to be a better way to make a living.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #6
Rich Z
Yeah, we are still alive. This was a good excuse to take a break from the internet for a few days.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #7
SnakeCreations
So glad to hear that everyone is okay....

-Tonya

Old 10-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #8
MysticExotics
Glad everything is ok. Internet breaks can be a blessing. LOL

Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Twolunger
Been through the devastation 3 times in my life. While the first impulse is to say the community will never recover, it is amazing what people can do when working together.
Sadly, there is loss of lives, and it's harder to recover from that.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #10
MysticExotics
I cannot imagine going through that. Every time a natural disaster strikes a part of our country, I think about how horrible it would be to go through that, having to evacuate, losing your home, possibly your family, friends and pets.

We are not as affected by wildfires here, we very rarely have cyclones, and being in the sound we are protected from most tropical storms. We do get some pretty big wind storms, every year (we're approaching that season soon), and while earthquakes are not common, they are predicting a severe one, at some point, and that will be devastating.

We did have a devastating mud slide that killed 43 people, and I saw the community come together as you mentioned. It is hard to recover from, but when joined together, it helps. I know it's a drop in the bucket compared to the devastation happening with wildfires and hurricanes.

We had a bridge collapse a couple years back on I-5, from a truck that hit a support beam. Some cars fell into the river below (thankfully, no one died), and we started talking about what would happen if something caused bridges and overpasses to collapse (relatively realistic with a major earthquake), there would be no evacuating, all egress routes would be destroyed.

Mother nature is incredibly powerful, and angry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google