CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Thermostat suggestion?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
legitimatehypnotist
Thermostat suggestion?

So, I finally got my girls used to temperatures in the same range as each other, but one of my snakes thermostats pooped out on me yesterday.
Right now, I elevated her tank and the temps haven't even gotten past 83 and I'm watching them closely. I'm using a 'hot spot' rather than the whole left side of tank as her warm spot, which she seems to be enjoying right now, but I need a new one, obviously.
Plus, I'm ending my newest snake's quarantine and getting a tank shelf, so getting them on the same thermostat is important.

My requirements are as follows: It absolutely NEEDS to have plugs for more than one heat source.
We are dealing with costly medical treatments in my household right now, and the thermostat cannot be more than 70-75 dollars. Non-negotiable. Either it's inexpensive, or somebody can't get medication that is keeping them alive.
I have digital thermometers for each tank, so that's not a huge concern, but it should have a fairly long probe.
Each heat mat is 8 watts so that shouldn't be an issue at all.
RELIABLE. That's a given, lol.

Anybody know of any good, affordable thermostats that can control two or more heat mats??
I was so desperate that I was about to buy a Zilla one, but between the fact that it doesn't drop below 70 and it lacks a digital readout, it isn't worth the risk. Unless you guys say otherwise...

Old 11-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
schnebbles
so will all tanks be the same size? I'm afraid if they aren't that a thermostat won't be able to regulate quite right. I could be wrong though if all of the mats are the same.

Right now I have a Ranco, it came with a power strip that I think can run 6 tanks.

I am thinking someone recommended a cheap one, I'll have to see if I can find it, or else someone will post it.

I hope whoever has medical troubles gets well soon.

EDIT: the one that people suggest appears to only run one mat so that idea is out.

I have a big apple herp BAH1000 and it worked ok until it went spazo on me and I had to send it back, I know that is a fluke, I think they replaced some chip in it. It was making my tank up to over 90 in 10 minutes! What if I wasn't home? But, I also had one before with my beardie and it was fine. They control 5 I think.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
legitimatehypnotist
All the mats are the same size. Luckily, the thermostat that failed was in the biggest tank with the nicest temp gradient. Her temps are totally fine right now because the tanks are all in the coolest room in the house, it's just one more thing to worry about that I really don't want to be worrying about.

And thank you very much. Between the property taxes and bills and medical things... I don't even know. Financial troubles really suck.
I was honestly not thinking the freaking thermostat would die right now, worst timing ever.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
legitimatehypnotist
And wow, yeah the ranco and johnson controls might be my best bet, not too much more expensive than my limit.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
schnebbles
I don't know anything about the Johnson, but I'd go with one of them. I think the kind a lot of people here use is more expensive.

I'm unemployed right now so I can relate to financial issues. No insurance sucks. Can't find a job and don't know why no one calls me.

You'll have to find one where the shipping is cheap!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Fatman608
I would go with the Johnson Controls. I had a Ranco go bad on me. Plus I did A/C and heating for 20 years and Johnson Controls make a better product than Ranco IMO. There are other T-stats out there like this one that are digital.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
schnebbles
I guess all brands have the potential to go bad. I thought my BAH1000 would be great, since my last one worked fine. It's scary since it could be so horrible if they got too hot.

Fatman - that one is only for one mat if I read it correctly. That's the one I was looking up b/c I remembered you posted it.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman608 View Post
I would go with the Johnson Controls. I had a Ranco go bad on me. Plus I did A/C and heating for 20 years and Johnson Controls make a better product than Ranco IMO. There are other T-stats out there like this one that are digital.
Have you used that T-stat ??

Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
Fatman608
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
Fatman - that one is only for one mat if I read it correctly. That's the one I was looking up b/c I remembered you posted it.
Yes, you do have to use a power strip like all the rest in order to use more than one mat. I just figured people would be smart enough to figure that out. You can get a power strip at Wal-mart for less than 10 dollars.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
loostercc
try the hydrofarm thermostat. u can find it on amazon for about $25 and u get a normal power strip and u can use it on six or seven cages. (1000 watt t-stat)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google