CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie with First Corn

Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
OkeeteeMom
Newbie with First Corn

Hi All!

We recently had a couple of rescued Garter Snakes (from a major hailstorm) and were able to release them. A few days ago we were out getting home repair stuff and came home with a female Okeetee! We were told that she's believed to be gravid which is very exciting. She's around 3.5 feet long and really pretty (but what CS isn't?!)

I was looking through a book online at Amazon and saw something about snake with 'hips' (no joke). It looked gravid but wasn't. Does anyone know anything about this?

Never-the-less, we did set-up a nesting box, but I'm need to learn as much as possible...ASAP.

This looks like a wonderful group, and I've already been reading some of the posts. Any help would be much appreciated.

And BTW, looks like you all have beautiful scalebabies.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Tavia
Hello & welcome! The threads in the breeding section should cover most everything you need to know. "Hips" is something I've heard of in female corns on occasion. If I remember right its fatty deposits that develop right above the vent. They are pretty much impossible to get rid of (typical female complaint, huh?) but they aren't threatening to the corns health. These two books are great to have on hand,
http://www.cornsnake.net/cornsnakesincaptivity.php3

http://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-Co...7510703&sr=1-1

Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
OkeeteeMom
TAVIA...

Thanks so much for your informative reply

Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Nanci
If you look at a snake with hips, they look deformed. They look like a fat person. If the snake is gravid, you can feel the eggs. If you set her on the floor, and let her crawl over your fingers, with a _teeny_ bit of pressure, you should be able to feel individual eggs. Or, you can let her crawl up and over the edge of her viv, so she is making the bend right over your fingers- you may be able to feel them that way. Her scales on the sides will be spaced apart so you can see between them. Instead of having a cross-sectional profile similar to a slice of bread, she will be more round, or, if close to laying, have a prominent spine. She will bulge at the edges where her sides meet her belly, when laying flat on the ground. She will shed, and them most likely but not always refuse food until she lays. Most snakes lay about seven days after the pre-lay shed.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
OkeeteeMom
NANCI

That's excellent information and suggestion you just gave me and I really appreciate it.

We were told by the shop that they got her just two weeks prior from the previous owners (I have no idea what her age is or why they gave her up). The shop said that she came in healthy, but a bit skinny so they began feeding her "crawler rats" 1-twice a week...especially when they guessed she might be gravid.

I didn't want to handle her yet, as I'm guessing she might like to adjust a bit more to her new, new home? This is only day 3 for her here...that and considering she just fed on two pinkies. I really want to handle her but am concerned about stressing her out more than she might already be, you know?

After she ate just now, I got a good look at her (not thinking to have the camera near me, OF COURSE!) as she repositioned herself. She doesn't look deformed. It does appear that she has 6-8 bulges.

In a day or two I'm going to try the things you suggested for egg determination.

Again...thank you SO much for your help...I feel a bit of new owner anxiety lifted!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
OkeeteeMom
OH! I forgot to mention...
The shop also said that she shed in the past two weeks.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Caryl
Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Did the shop say why they believed your female to be gravid? I ask because it's awfully late in the year to be dropping a clutch. Of course, corns don't read the books.....

Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
If you look at a snake with hips, they look deformed. They look like a fat person.
Jeez, Nanci, and you always seemed so nice......

Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
OkeeteeMom
CARYL...

Yes, they said they believe her to be gravid because of the 6-8 lumps/bumps near her tail end. They showed me her belly and it certainly appeared to be holding egg shapes.

When I spoke with them today, they estimated her age to be around one year old. They also told me that if her eggs come out all shriveled and sickly looking, it wouldn't be unusual...if it's her first clutch.

I've been on this site all day long (and I mean that!), reading everything I can!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkeeteeMom View Post
Hi All!
A few days ago we were out getting home repair stuff and came home with a female Okeetee! We were told that she's believed to be gravid which is very exciting. She's around 3.5 feet long and really pretty (but what CS isn't?!)

And BTW, looks like you all have beautiful scalebabies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkeeteeMom View Post

When I spoke with them today, they estimated her age to be around one year old. They also told me that if her eggs come out all shriveled and sickly looking, it wouldn't be unusual...if it's her first clutch.

I've been on this site all day long (and I mean that!), reading everything I can!
First, let me say that I love the term "scalebabies".

Second, I gotta say that your shop is majorly confused about corn snakes. There's simply no way your female is a yearling if she's 3.5 feet long. That's possible though uncommon for a two year old, but more likely she's at least three. Also, eggs don't come out shriveled. Even eggs that aren't fertilized are not shriveled when they are laid. They may be very oddly shaped but don't shrivel until later.

How close to her vent are these bulges? Could you post a picture? Do you know how long she's had them?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google