CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Would this work?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Acedraco
Would this work?

i hope to get my first corn soon, and i wanted to plant live plants in his aquarium. the only problem is, my bedding would be able to be planted in. I had a plan to put a layer of sterile soil in a layer on the bottom and put a sheet of plexi over it with holes cut in the plexi. i would plant the plants in the holes and they would grow out. My bedding would be on the top of the plexi, so there would be no way for the snake to get in contact with the soil. the only problem is that i wanted to use a uth, but with a layer of soil, idk if the heat would reach the snake. what do you think?

Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedraco View Post
i hope to get my first corn soon, and i wanted to plant live plants in his aquarium. the only problem is, my bedding would be able to be planted in. I had a plan to put a layer of sterile soil in a layer on the bottom and put a sheet of plexi over it with holes cut in the plexi. i would plant the plants in the holes and they would grow out. My bedding would be on the top of the plexi, so there would be no way for the snake to get in contact with the soil. the only problem is that i wanted to use a uth, but with a layer of soil, idk if the heat would reach the snake. what do you think?
I would be concerned more with the moisture required to keep the plants alive and how it could possibly affect the snake. I am not saying it can not be done, but you would have to be careful. Heat could be achieved via an overhead source if absolutely necessary.

dc

Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
GothPixel
I picked up The Art of Keeping Snakes from Amazon. It goes into detail about keeping live plants in a vivarium, including which kinds will work and how to keep them alive.

Assuming the book is right, your first problem would be getting enough light to the plants. The book recommends plants in containers so they can be rotated in and out, so you can have one getting some sun while the other is in the vivarium. It's an interesting read, and has some useful info on corns and types of substrate and other things.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Acedraco
I had actually planned on using plants like pothos, jade, chinese evergreen, wandering jew, stuff that doesnt need much moisture. from what i've read, all these plants dont need to be watered more than once a week, which would be done when i clean the cage out. im kinda stumped on the light.. maybe a lamp with some type of bulb would work? also, do you think the heat would be gone in the time it would take it to go allthe way up to the top layer of substrate?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google