CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

EASY RACK BUILD!!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
HoosierHerper
EASY RACK BUILD!!!!

So here it is. It cost me right at $45 dollars to build. (I already had heat, and a Johnson Thermostat). This is made from 2 of those Walmart Mainstays 3 shelf bookcases, but can also just as easily be done with the 5 shelf model.

Materials:
2-3 Shelf Bookcases from Walmart : $30
1 package of 1" wood screws from Walmart : $2
6-22" long 1"x1/2" 'square' dowels : $12 (Can be had much cheaper at a home improvement store, ie. Home Depot or Lowe's....but I did my shopping late and went ahead and got these at Walmart)

Tools:
Drill-(or a Phillips head screwdriver...be careful with the drill, you can easily split the square dowels)
Hammer
Jigsaw-to cut your square dowels, or you can have the guys at the store do it.

-----------------------------------
1. Open your bookshelves and separate the pieces into piles.

2. Take your square dowels that have already been cut to size and connect the side panels of the bookcases together using the wood screws and drill. REMEMBER to go slow because you WILL split the wood....I did

3. Continue assembling the bookshelves according to manufacturer instructions. Make sure to use both of the small "dams" they provide. Even though one won't be visible, it will help support the middle.

4. Before you nail down the back for the rack, I would cut little grommets for your wiring to come out of.

This is what you should have now. Basically the bookshelf, but twice as deep.

5. Slide your shelves onto the square dowels. The dowels not only connect the 2 cases, but also will serve to hold up your shelves...much sturdier than the little pins in the holes.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
HoosierHerper
6. Tape your flexwatt down where you want it and feed the wires through your "grommets".

7. Mount your thermostat or other heating control device to your rack wherever you'd like it. And plug in your flexwatt.

Wired with flexwatt to the thermostat. Shelves in.

Happy new tenants!

This rack gives you 4 shelves (including the top of the unit) that are each 23"X28". I will have two 12qts per shelf or one 32qt Sterilite latchbox per shelf. You will need lids, as the shelves are not close enough to go lidless (I always have the lids on regardless)

Again...$45 to build!!!!!!!!! (And it don't look too bad neither!)
Comes in white, brown, and black. Finally make yourself a unit to match your entertainment center!

Let me know what you all think of it!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Bisbal069
Great rack, however, get your toes out of the picture! I hate feet! lol!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
cornsnakeforsale_com
I love a good snake rack. I'd have it taller, though maybe two of those stacked would work best.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Em Wright
If you want taller you could always pick up the 5-shelf bookcases that walmart sells.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
HoosierHerper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Wright View Post
If you want taller you could always pick up the 5-shelf bookcases that walmart sells.
Ditto. Those are $25 a piece which would put you right around $60.
I don't know if I'd stack 2 of the 3 shelf models...the weight limits per the instructions are as follows:

Very top of unit, and the very bottom shelf of unit each hold approx. 50 lbs. The middle adjustable shelves hold approx. 35 lbs. each.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
Em Wright
Hey Josh, where'd you buy your Flexwatt from? Was it online or locally?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
HoosierHerper
I got it from Reptilebasics.com. If you buy the connectors and stuff he'll wire it free. But I found out the American Rodent Supply that is about 10 miles away from me has it in stock in LARGE quantities because it's also a site where they build their racks. When I got for more I am going to get it there.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
Em Wright
Thanks! It'd be so nice to have someone wire it for me. My husband isn't sure if he can do it and I don't want him to do it if he's not 100% sure he can. Though I have a pretty straight forward, simple tutorial that I found...

Anyway, thanks again.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
cornsnakeforsale_com
Just have them do it, it's free or next to free if I remember correctly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
beginner