CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Snakey's mansion build.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #41
rexracer
BTW, that is with 6 puck lights. 3 in front, 3 in back. Each puck has 2 LED's @ 1.1 watts each. I can also run the front and rear 3 separately which dims it significantly.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #42
questionableintent
This is AWESOME. Ahhh .. I see a DIY project somewhere in my near future.
Great work!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #43
darth-hayzer
that is so AWESOME !! Wonderful workmanship . A job well done .

Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #44
Asbit
It is gorgeous. I love it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #45
rexracer
Well, tomorrow is moving day! I've done a little work since my last update. I added a shelf and a couple of full width dowels for climbing. I figure if Snakey likes it, he'll use it. If not, he won't, and I can always remove it.
I was also concerned about humidity control. It gets very dry this time of year here, and in his aquarium, I just cover most of the screen with a wet towel and it keeps the humidity up. When he's shedding I sometimes run the humidifier and let the mist drop into the tank to really up the moisture. Since this is all wood, and has a top on it, I was trying to figure a way to add moisture. I didn't really want to mist the cage since it's wood, and misting only lasts a short while. I put vents high up in the front, and one low in the back figuring I would get cross ventilation. I did a bit of experimenting and found that, with the heat running the warm air rises and exits the front vents, and this gives a good draw through the rear vent. That got me thinking, so I built duct out of 1/8" plexi that fits tight to the rear vent and will run along the back and out the side. The duct has it's opening on the bottom and it will allow moisture to be drawn in through the rear vent. I'll experiment to find out how to best do this. I can spray the inside of the duct, or maybe place a pan of water under it or put a wet towel in it. I do know that if I put my cool mist humidifier under it I'll be able to easily keep the humidity anywhere from 50-90 or even 100% just by adjusting the output of the humidifier.
Here's a pic of the duct, and I'll post pics tomorrow of the finished product after I get the viv decorated and introduce Snakey to it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #46
rexracer
My new viv is decorated, and Snakey is in. The duct worked great! I have my cool mist humidifier next to the cabinet blowing up into the duct. The inside of the cabinet was 20% humidity when I started it up, and now it's up to 50% and the humidifier is only running at about 25% capacity. I'll see what it takes to keep the humidity at 35-40% and leave it there to conserve distilled water, unless he's shedding in which case I'll bump it to 65% or so. I think I'll leave the rear lights off so that his shelf stays shaded...maybe he'll feel safe behind the foliage and use it. It is warmer at the top of the cage.

Now for some pictures!
Here is what it looks like with all the lights on.

with just the back lit

and with the front lit, which will be my standard confuguration I think.

the overall decor.

warm side

cool side

I put his new water dish on a platform so he wouldn't undermine it and make it tip. He loves to dig. Right now I only have 2-3" of aspen (a large bag). We'll se if it's enough for him.

Here is Sarah puting him in his new home.

and he dug right in.

He's out and about now, and he climbed right up to his shelf. He seems to enjoy creeping around behind his foliage up in the shadows. I think he likes it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #47
rexracer
Last one.

Happy at home!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #48
connord94
That's a brilliant piece of work, kudos! And your snakes colours are beautiful!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #49
jnk22
Awesome job it looks great!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #50
vetusvates
Great work. If I were a snake, I'd be happy to live there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google