CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

What woods are toxic to corn snakes?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
aftaine2244
What woods are toxic to corn snakes?

I want to build my own viv, but I really don't want to get a wood that might kill him. Does anyone know if their is toxic woods out there, so I can stay away from it?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
cobstein
Don't use cedar it will paralize their jaws. Also some argue that pine is toxic also so I would stay away from it. I would use only hardwoods to be safe. Have fun building

Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
RobbiesCornField
I avoid any of the fragrant woods, as it's the oils that cause the fragrance the tree uses as a natural insect repellent. I prefer aspen for my colubrids, cypress for my boids, and sphagnum moss in a humid hide for my more finicky Asian colubrids.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
I avoid any of the fragrant woods, as it's the oils that cause the fragrance the tree uses as a natural insect repellent. I prefer aspen for my colubrids, cypress for my boids, and sphagnum moss in a humid hide for my more finicky Asian colubrids.
Ha! Yeah try getting those types of wood at your local lumber yard!!

You can use plywood or pine but you should seal it with either a paint or water base sealer. After all the odor from the paint or sealer is gone it will be fine to use.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Alicia P
Kiln dried pine lumber is fine to use as long as you seal your project after it's built. The drying process takes most of the oils out of the wood and sealing locks any remaining oils/smells in.

Just make sure to use a reptile safe sealer. Minwax Spar Urethane is safe, as is Krylon Fusion spray and Rustoleum spray. All water based. Make sure to let it completely dry and cure.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
aftaine2244
Okay thank you guys now is a varnish under a sealer bad after its complete?? I want it to look like a deep cherry but would putting a sealer over it be okay?

Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Alicia P
I would use a water based stain like this http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...sed-wood-stain let it fully dry and then follow with a couple coats of this http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-spar-urethane letting it fully dry between coats. Then let it sit in a well ventilated area till it doesn't smell anymore, usually about a week.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
HerpsOfNM
Even safer IMHO....

http://www.afmsafecoat.com/

AFM Safe Coat makes many green products that should be much safer than even the water based stuff from minwax, rustoleum, etc.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
HerpsOfNM
You can even look into sealing the cage interior with marmoleum... And low (or no VOC.. I forget which) VOC alternative to linoleum. I plan to use it next time I build any Greg Maxwell-style cages. It's water resistant (possibly waterproof when seams sealed proper) which will be excellent for high humidity species, plus a lot safer than using adhesive vinyl which off gases.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
aftaine2244
If I want to have hatchlings?

Okay so I have a male and a female how do I get them to mate or know when their ready they are both 43" long. HELP!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google