CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Cheap/favorite hide ideas anyone?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
honey.bee
Cheap/favorite hide ideas anyone?

I know there are a bunch of topics and suggestions for homemade hides scattered around here but if anyone wants to describe the ones they use/like the most... Thanks

Old 06-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
IowaPrairieWoman
depends on the size of the slithery one ?

I have several young snakes right now, so I use toilet paper tubes cut in "roughly half". Yeah, they love 'em. I keep 3 or so in each cage, scattered around. This is for up to yearlings.

Deli cups flipped over and with a hole cut in one side ... I mean small cups....

In general, Corn snakes like "hides" where they are in there pretty tight. It would seem "too small" to us, but they like close sides and top.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #3
IowaPrairieWoman
I also meant to say, with deli cups and the like, go for those that are not clear... they like to feel "hidden". That is the secret to the perfect hide.

Hidden.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Jafar
I press the toilet paper tubes instead of cutting, so they can crawl in in, and have a 'tight' feeling. They also love to hide under water bowls when they are bigger (dog and cat bowls) and i have bought €0,65 containers for screws and stuff for the adults, they love it! And its easy to clean!

Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Popcorn715
I made some hides from a tissue box that our snake likes when he's in his plastic tub while we clean his viv. I just used a regular rectangular Kleenex box and cut around it on both ends an inch or so below the opening for the tissues (so I got 2 hides from one box).

I tried using TP rolls first, but they wouldn't stay in place as he crawled around them, and he just went under the paper towel instead. Now he sits happily inside the Kleenex box hide while we clean everything.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Chromatic Corns
I buy the PVC t connectors from the Home Depot plumbing department. Comes in lots of sizes and fairly cheap

Old 06-03-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
diamondlil
For my adults I get the cardboard tubes from a local carpet shop (from when they use up a roll of carpet), cut to size they are quite sturdy and I throw them away when they get soiled. As Mick uses rolls of vinyl I also get the inner tubes from those for my snakies

Old 06-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Nythain
My girl is bigger (boa) so I currently use a few sterilite dishpans, cut and smoothed. When I had Plissken, he was really partial to cardboard egg carton lids and honestly, fake plants. He didn't much care for cardboard tubes (paper towel, toilet paper, etc) and would only occasionally use any consumer hide product i got for him.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #9
IowaPrairieWoman
I have a bunch of babies right now and they have a habit of flipping the TP tubes into their water bowls ... looking for something that small and a little harder for them to flip around !! I'm considering PVC pipe pieces, which I may cut in half ( and then smooth out edges).

Old 11-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPrairieWoman View Post
I have a bunch of babies right now and they have a habit of flipping the TP tubes into their water bowls ... looking for something that small and a little harder for them to flip around !! I'm considering PVC pipe pieces, which I may cut in half ( and then smooth out edges).
Flat boxes are good for keeping in place, I have Band-Aid boxes, toothpaste boxes, and all different product boxes. It looks like a pharmacy in there, but they are perfect for babies and disposable. I smoosh one end down on toilet paper rolls and angle down into the aspen.

And I am with Nythain, ALL ages love plastic plants! I got so many for really cheap on eBay, less that $10 you can get about 15 plants or so, different colors and shapes and sizes. And they clean up easily.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google