CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Not corn snake related but I need help figuring out what snake this is!!!!!

Old 12-31-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
turn
Not corn snake related but I need help figuring out what snake this is!!!!!

So I live in western Montana and while walking around my apartment i found a snake near the heater. Yay for me! I caught it with a bowl and I don't want to let it go since its so cold out here I don't think it would survive. It's super small and very aggressive(although that's very understandable) The main native snake here is a rattle snake but there is no rattle or anything resembling one on its tail. I have an extra 10 gallon my corn outgrew, should i keep him for the winter or release him into the snow. What should I do? Any ideas to what kind of snake this is? sorry the pictures are bad. Any help is appreciated!!!!

Old 12-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
turn
I'm thinking gopher snake because of his blunt stubby snout maybe??

Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
turn
Or western terrestrial garter snake since hes so so tiny

Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Rich Z
Looks like some form of garter snake to me.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Shiari
Maybe Dekay's brown snake?

Old 01-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Maybe Dekay's brown snake?
That's what I'm thinking.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
Don't release him into the cold right now. He came into your house to get warm.

I think it's a Garter Snake. I can assure you whatever it is, it's not a rattle snake or any type of venomous snake.

If you have a zoo or animal rescue somewhere in your area, they may take him off your hands. Otherwise, don't release him until the temps get up around 58 degrees or higher. If it is a Garter snake, they typically enjoy cooler temps than most of the other snakes, and will even take a swim to cool off.

You could try feeding earthworms, small feeder fish, and small frogs, as they eat those in the wild.

Good luck with the little fella, I hope he makes it through the winter.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
turn
I thought garter snake too but it doesn't have the dorsal stripe and only part of the lateral. Plus its belly is a really dark gray, is that common? He's a lot darker than in those pictures and his scales look kind of spread out and quite rough.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
turn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Don't release him into the cold right now. He came into your house to get warm.

I think it's a Garter Snake. I can assure you whatever it is, it's not a rattle snake or any type of venomous snake.

If you have a zoo or animal rescue somewhere in your area, they may take him off your hands. Otherwise, don't release him until the temps get up around 58 degrees or higher. If it is a Garter snake, they typically enjoy cooler temps than most of the other snakes, and will even take a swim to cool off.

You could try feeding earthworms, small feeder fish, and small frogs, as they eat those in the wild.

Good luck with the little fella, I hope he makes it through the winter.
Do you think he'd eat pinkie parts? I doubt I can find earthworms this time of year.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:58 AM   #10
Shiari
Many pet stores as well as places that sell fishing poles will carry earthworms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google