CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY: Great Stuff Foam Terrarium Background

Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
How do you keep it to adhere? I have pics buried somewhere of trying to make a great stuff background that I painted with Krylon Fusion. In three days, it just "fell" off the glass in one piece! I never tried it again, but figured you must need to score the inside glass or something.
The Great Stuff is all that is holding it in place, and I've tried tugging at it to tests its strength/durability and it won't budge. The only way it's going to come off at this point is if I take a blade to it. Maybe you didn't allow enough dry time before painting or then newer Great Stuff foam (I did this about a year ago) is much stronger then the older kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
How is this working out cleaning wise? I need some background in my snake's viv but I don't want to make it a pain to clean.
I keep arboreal geckos in it, so clean up is minimal on the background (arboreal geckos like to poo on the glass). When they do poo on the background, I lightly spray it with water and gently wipe the poo off.

This method btw, I use with a "bio substrate." So it's not like I use this with wood shavings, paper towels and the like.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
desiredbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
NOTE: This terrarium is made of a 45g split into two sections with an acrylic divider. You will need more or less materials depending on what size tank you are using. Before actually attaching the peat moss (or any other organic material), I highly suggest microwaving or baking it to ensure all little nasties are killed.
I have been looking ever since i got my snake in building my own viv
Today I stumbled upon "Great Stuff" and via google i found your great pics.

And I tought ...That is a link I should post on cornsnakes.com.... it was already here.
You mean you can microwave your own pieces of wood...
Lichen...actualy these are an animal

Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
CentricMalteser
just a quick question, could using peat / moss cause health issues for snakey

prolong high humid potentially = scale rot or growth of other bacteria which could cause snakey infections etc?

jus curious

Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
TripleMoonsExotic
No, it won't cause problems. The amount of peat moss on the back is minimal after you knock the access off and vacuum. The background itself doesn't hold a lot of water, I spray it and the background is dry within an hour. Plenty of ventilation will also help access humidity concerns. This one I built was used for Cresteds and will be used for Darts eventually. This viv was torn down (the background is intact) because we're remodeling, but I'll see if I can get to it so I can get some macro shots of what the background actually looks like up close. It's difficult to describe, but their is only a light texturing of the loose soil, it's not really caked on thick.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
TripleMoonsExotic
Well here we go, a close-up of the background. Got lucky and found this one on my hard drive with little effort. This was taken when I first built it (2007/2008), less of the peat is on the background now from use, but I like how it looks.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
OkeeteeMom
What a difference once you added the moss during construction...it's beautiful! Looks like it's standing up pretty well since '08. Very cool!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
MysticExotics
It looks awesome! Great job & thank you for sharing!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
desiredbard
I started...and I figure I can do one better...pics comming soon...
As I am building a custom viv anyway
1 ft + deep 3.5 ft wide 1.5 ft heigh ...and all is going to be wood par the doors ...i figure
Why not go for three Climbing walls

So I made my poine housing (as it paints nice...
On the bottom there is going to be a glass plate under which my UTH and siliconed in

I am going to use that thin material they use in the back of cheep presses....
One inside back side and two pieces for left and right.
Use expanding wall/plasterboard plugs and drill from the outside in to keep these bits in place..... the bolts are going to stick through about 0.5 to 1 inch... then greatstuff it and wait till it dries.... Unbolt...take the part ourt and cut the sides loose under 45 degrees from the backpart...And proceed as in the start topic.
Going to aim to have the fromnt part of the sides ...less thick than the back part .

Then after all is turfed and mossed.. I can clamp/bolt the parts back in and I hope to have a "solid" surraound wall

Justy hope it works....

Old 05-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #19
desiredbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoz View Post
What's an exo-terra background? Foam?

TME, I really like this design. To be honest, I didn't at first, but you've taken it a step that I've not seen before with the peat and the moss. I think there's really a lot you could do with this as a starting point, too. Do you think branches sticking out from the foam would hold the weight of an average corn? King? It seems that one it dries, it might not give a lot of support for an end heavy branch. I have you tried this at all?

I think the added moss really makes the whole thing "pop" in depth and color as well. And what's so great about the foam is that you an tack in different plants and silicone them in place. Even just a staple gun should work so you can have hanging vines and such.

Nicely done, TME. How long did the whole project cost you in time? And where oh where did you get the black silicone?? I can't find that stuff anywhere!

I really wish I'd not lost my pc that all my photos of my project on it. It's also a very simple piece and would be made even easier had I not had to make it marine safe.
I used a few decking screws to be sure to be sure.
Hold my inside panels nicely in place as well .
(I did not spray on the inside of the enclosure..i used a wooden panel (or rather three)
Left back and righ side, these are connected with steel 90 degree hooks so neither ofd the side would flop.

This afternoon my 18 month old girls decided to climb onto the planter in front of which i had put my "inset" while giving the actual viv box another paint
She used a branch set in the back as a foothold... it held I'm proud to say

Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
desiredbard
OK here are my pics so far, in my own gallery
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1227

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google