CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY: Two unit display viv for $100

Old 09-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #21
Mr. Maya
Supper Design, Really simple and still attractive.
Do you live in a warm Climate. I have a heck of a time keeping temp in my Glass Viv.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maya View Post
Supper Design, Really simple and still attractive.
Do you live in a warm Climate. I have a heck of a time keeping temp in my Glass Viv.
Yup, live in Dallas. Temps are mega easy to keep.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #23
JohnR
I just found this thread so I'm building one right now. I am a bit confused by this part:

Quote:
Next take the floor pieces and drill 7 holes along one long side that are 3/8" from the edge that are 3" in from the sides
The part in bold is what I want to address. Your photo doesn't look like they are 3 inches in and besides, 3 inches takes a lot of space! I'm going with 1 inch, but wanted to point that out.

Thanks for the plan btw! Can't wait to finish it.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #24
Blue Apple Herps
Sorry for any confusion. What I mean is that on the left and right side (the shorter side) you want the holes ~3" from the edge. When you attach the wooden support along the back of the shelf, the screws go through the wood fairly deep. Then when you attach shelf to the frame, when you drill screws into the wooden support you have to make sure the screws along the shelf are far enough in so that they won't hit.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #25
JohnR
Here is my completed cage. Still trying to decide how to heat it:

Went with the screws pointed out because your pictures were a little confusing.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
tricksterpup
Hey Matt, I just wanted to say, I loved your instructions for the rack. I modified it a bit for the tubs but it came out great, except the top one had a bit larger gap and needs to use a lid. I replaced the Sintra for hard pressed board due to not having access to the plastic.

the inside look.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #27
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Here is my completed cage. Still trying to decide how to heat it:

Went with the screws pointed out because your pictures were a little confusing.
Looks GREAT!! I went with flexwatt under a piece of plexiglass and sealed with silicone. Working great so far.

Also, looks like you have bare wood? I would definitely seal it up or cover it in contac paper, or it won't last long (though maybe it is and the pic is playing tricks on me)

Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #28
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
Hey Matt, I just wanted to say, I loved your instructions for the rack. I modified it a bit for the tubs but it came out great, except the top one had a bit larger gap and needs to use a lid. I replaced the Sintra for hard pressed board due to not having access to the plastic.
Awesome! How is the hardboard holding up? I would have thought it might sag a little, but maybe not. It would be a great alternative! Sintra has gotten very expensive for some reason, for $50 more I can but an AP economy rack and save myself a weekend of work.

But if the hardboard holds up, would make making non-melamine racks affordable again.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #29
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
Awesome! How is the hardboard holding up? I would have thought it might sag a little, but maybe not. It would be a great alternative! Sintra has gotten very expensive for some reason, for $50 more I can but an AP economy rack and save myself a weekend of work.

But if the hardboard holds up, would make making non-melamine racks affordable again.
There is some bowing in the rack but its not bad. I think its holding up pretty good, The bowing is coming from being to tight and comes from my craftsmanship. Its my first one. But in all actuality it took 4 hours to make with right tools. All i had to do was cut the hard board in half and I only had to buy5 hard boards, and I had one half left over but will be used on the next rack. Basically it cost me about $70 for all of the wood. The most expensive part were the wheels.
I could have made this deeper and place the tubs in long wise but I went with the width instead of depth. This way I can use it for either 1 32 qt long tub or 1 smaller 15 qt tubs.

You gave a pretty good design and I recommend others to use it. Its light enough for one person to move around and carry. My SO carried it up a flight of stairs by herself while i was out of the house. I am not sure how its going to hold up in the next 10 years or how long its going to last but right now its been doing pretty good for the first month.

But for those who want to build a rack, this a way to go. Its very similar to a AP rack, after all I own one. I like them and will again order another one from them. But for now, I am going the Cheaper route and building my own. My next attempt will be a 10 shelf rack system.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #30
JohnR
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
Looks GREAT!! I went with flexwatt under a piece of plexiglass and sealed with silicone. Working great so far.

Also, looks like you have bare wood? I would definitely seal it up or cover it in contac paper, or it won't last long (though maybe it is and the pic is playing tricks on me)

I was wondering if I put one of those under tank heaters under some plexiglass if that would be ok. So, sounds like the way to go!

Yeah, bare wood. Why wouldn't it last long?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google