CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

My New Viv. Progress Shots

Old 10-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Mr. Maya
Oh Crud, forgot to put in the size.
each viv is about 3'5" X 3'5" X 2'5"

Old 10-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #22
doortech9
I love the size of this thing, it's going to be one hell of a display piece by the time you are done. I would love to do such a thing, but until i own my own place i can only live my dreams out on threads like this. Two thumbs up

Old 10-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #23
The_Thunderer
WOW!!! Those look amazing!!! Much KUDOS and congrats!!

Would you please help us out by showing how they open? I would love to see how you open them to daily maintenance.

Simply too kewl!

Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #24
Feanturi
Quote:
Originally Posted by doortech9 View Post
I love the size of this thing, it's going to be one hell of a display piece by the time you are done. I would love to do such a thing, but until i own my own place i can only live my dreams out on threads like this. Two thumbs up
Try building out someone's unwanted entertainment center. The closing doors are great for isolation when things get too busy in the reptile room. And keeps nosy landlords from thinking there's anything but a T.V. in there! (Not that I'm recommending anything...

Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #25
Feanturi
Sweet Condo Profect

Agreed, looks great. Nice structure, looks sturdy. Hope it turns out easy to clean 'cause I'm going to try some insert bases and backgrounds for my hab's. Screened pegboard is so 1989.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doortech9 View Post
Try building out someone's unwanted entertainment center or armoire (check the craigslist freebies, they're just giving them away). The closing doors are great for isolation when things get too busy in the reptile room. And keeps nosy landlords or snake fearers from thinking there's anything but a T.V. in there!
(Not that I'm recommending anything immoral or anything...)

Old 10-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #26
Mr. Maya
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Thunderer View Post
WOW!!! Those look amazing!!! Much KUDOS and congrats!!

Would you please help us out by showing how they open? I would love to see how you open them to daily maintenance.

Simply too kewl!
They are open and all hardware is visible. Look left and right, you will see a gold colored strip running down each side. These are piano Hinges with Plexiglass doors witch are currently attached and open but have the protective plastic still on.
Will post some close ups later.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #27
Saulace
This is amazing and inspiring. Of course, it's also the first DIY project I've looked at.
I've got a TV stand with closing doors that I was about to toss out, but I think I might turn that into a project to stick in my office room. I would love a step by step instruction on how to create those land bridges and want not, even as stand alone pieces that can be transferred or taken out to clean.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #28
Mr. Maya
Step by Step for Landbridges and any other form you like,.
1. Get Styrofoam, Silicon, Sharp razer blade Knife, Break off Blade type, Spray construction foam.
2.Glue styrofoam together, cut out shape and form with knife.
3. Cover with spray foam and let it do its thing.
4. Cover with flexible Tile Cement. let dry
5.Paint
6.Enjoy
It is really that easy. I have never done anything like this before and have been just winging it so far. Use your Imagination run wild and you may just surprise yourself. I know I did.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #29
Saulace
I've got (literally) about 15 tubes of silicon leftover from a sculpting class I took a couple years back. You mentioned it in your supply list, but not in the instructions.

If I decide not to paint/seal the finished piece, is it safe for the snake to wiggle around on the plain exposed tile cement?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #30
Mr. Maya
WARNING

WARNING:Do not use the paint wich i mentioned in the previous threads. I will be sealing my Vivs with an Acrylic water based paint wich is acceptable be the german Govt. for use on toys.
It has the same properties as the other as far as cleaning and durability. However it doesnt have the harmful chemicals.
Made a big mistake when purchasing the other paint. So beware.
the other paint stinks so bad still that i got a little worried and went researching and found my mistake and am now trying to correct it.
the new paint is odor free and safe for childrens toys. that is what you want to look for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google