CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY clay hides I made

Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Thi is really a wonderful idea!! My son loves to work with clay so this would be great for him. He loves to make all kinds of things. I will be getting some of this clay before school lets out and he can be busy for a long time making everyone their own hide! Thank you so much for posting this. I am sure that with the stick end of a brush or something, that it would be possible to carve the names of each snake on them as well. So many ideas for this!! I cant hardly wait to get some now!! Thanks again!!

Old 04-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Mashedmelissa
I copied you

My cave imploded while it was in the oven

Gunther checkin out his new diggs

just because he's so darn cute

Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
brock2001
how high should the the inside be for a corn snake, i designed one in my art class that looks like a snake and hollowed it out to be a diameter of maybe 6 inches and an inch or 2 high. Will it work or is it too small.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #24
carnivorouszoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2001 View Post
how high should the the inside be for a corn snake, i designed one in my art class that looks like a snake and hollowed it out to be a diameter of maybe 6 inches and an inch or 2 high. Will it work or is it too small.
I think that would work for a small one, not sure for an adult.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #25
brock2001
about how big are we talking when you say a small one

Old 05-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #26
Calift
so great to see other people making their own hides!

Here's a new one I made for a snake thats outgrown the others.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
insomniac101
What a great idea - those are very nice! Thanks for sharing; can't wait to try this.

Kathy

Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #28
wolfiesangelbear
Self made hides

Wow this looks like a great project. I might have to give this a try. I do have some question though. First off when you put these in the oven, do you need to use a mold for them so they don't cave in? Also once they are baked, do they need the Scupley glaze to waterproof them, or do you use something else to waterproof them so they don't get wet when needing to spray the cage down at shed time? I did find a website that has the clay and seen the granite package.....might have to give that one a try.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #29
Bobo's Mama
I've made quite a few Sculpey hides. I just use the colored kind, so you don't have to paint them. For a glaze I've used both the Sculpey glaze and clear aquarium epoxy. The aquarium epoxy doesn't dry smooth, but it does protect the clay from poops. If your snake poops on it, you just wipe it off with a damp washcloth. You can use throw away alluminum tins as molds. They can be found in the baking aisle. They come in little ones, and big ones. The kind you would make a meatloaf in, or pie tins. Here's a few of mine.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #30
Cornflake1
Talking My sculpey hides

I too have recently found Sculpey and must say, wow its great stuff!! I haven't painted any of mine as I brought some nice colours. This one was my first and is for my hatchling. I think he likes it, it's silver but I will look into some kind of non-toxic varnish for it before putting it in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
clay, diy hides, hides