CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #31
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
But yeah, given the volume of posts, it's possible that "DYK" could "break" the vBulletin software....that's dependent upon what type of data structure is used to tally the aggregate number of post counts.
Well, me passing 20,000 posts didn't break it, as predicted...

Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #32
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Well, me passing 20,000 posts didn't break it, as predicted...
I wouldn't predict/expect it to, given that we'd have to reach a post count that's a power of 2. The next closest number, given the way data structures work, would be 32,768 posts.

It's a geek thing.

Dale

Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #33
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
I'm not really up on computers, or anything web, but doesn't your third paragraph contradict your first paragraph..... ????
Not at all. The first paragraph references the pageload time, given the complexity of the database queries used to provide the data needed to fulfill the HTTP request made by your browser. It's a "performance" issue.

The third paragraph is an "upper bound" in the post count, which is dependent on the data type used to tally the number of posts in a given thread. It's a "design" issue.

Dale

Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #34
snakewispera snr
DYK.... ooops sorry wrong thread... LOL
I use another vbullitln site that has 1000's more active members, it has over 4000 new posts a day,some members have more posts than Nanci, it has lots of posts in the 1000's and people all have dragons and massive sigs.... Plus everyone is able to edit. And that site loads much quicker than this one.......
So maybe it's some other problem???????

Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #35
danielle
Wouldn't the number set for posts per page slow down the uploading of pages meaning depending on how many posts per page you preset determines to some extent the time it will take a page to upload?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Yeah, but there are nearly as many posts in the Photo Gallery section as in General Chit-Chat, and I'm positive that section takes up magnitudes more bandwidth...
Which is why I periodically go through my attachments and delete old ones (except for a few that might still be worthwhile for someone running a specific search).

And I don't think the size of a thread will impact how one page loads on anyone's computer. What matters is how much info is located on that one page, and the dragon images apparently affect it due to their specific nature. I have noticed a slight decrease in the amount of time that their removal has made to page loading. Someone with dial-up will probably notice a larger change.

I'm with Dean on the DYK thread. I rarely visit. It was fun at first, but it has seemed to change in the material that was posted. Instead of mostly simple things that members wanted to just share, it started taking on more of a conversational stance, which I don't care for as much. When I want to just talk or listen to others converse, I go to chat.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #37
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
DYK.... ooops sorry wrong thread... LOL
I use another vbullitln site that has 1000's more active members, it has over 4000 new posts a day,some members have more posts than Nanci, it has lots of posts in the 1000's and people all have dragons and massive sigs.... Plus everyone is able to edit. And that site loads much quicker than this one.......
So maybe it's some other problem???????
Sounds like heaven! You know what happens to forums that have a lower posting incidence? They just shrivel up and lay there. No one visits them on a many-times-daily basis. If nothing's going on, why bother looking? And if no one is looking, no advertising is getting looked at. Compared to other cornsnake or herp-related forums, this one is an advertiser's dream!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #38
KJUN
I think the people that are against it dislike some of the CONTENT...like what was bleeding over from the adult social group....stuff that even I think may not be all that relevant or appropriate for a SNAKE site. I just stay out of it, so I don't care that it is there, but it IS something that makes me think HARD before referring a customer to this forum. I worry that they think I support that kind of stuff.

That's the problem, I think. When I ask myself, "Is this a good, clean, site?" ...well, I can't say YES with some of the things posted there. I'll admit I've learned things about some people that I never, ever wanted to know.....and I'd now be scared to shake their hand without a latex glove on! LOL.

KJ

Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #39
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I'm with Dean on the DYK thread. I rarely visit. It was fun at first, but it has seemed to change in the material that was posted. Instead of mostly simple things that members wanted to just share, it started taking on more of a conversational stance, which I don't care for as much. When I want to just talk or listen to others converse, I go to chat.
The conversational aspect of it is exactly what I like! I can catch up with all the news, personal, local, worldwide, that people see fit to post, without missing anything. If Carol is in chat, telling them about what snakes are breeding and her cat is in heat again and how the economy and the current president are affecting her job, and I am not in chat to read that, I have missed the opportunity. If she posts it in DYK, I may not be there at 2AM, but I can catch up at 5AM when I'm awake and everyone else is sleeping. I can post my thoughts, and when Carol wakes up three time zones away, she can read them.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #40
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
I think the people that are against it dislike some of the CONTENT...like what was bleeding over from the adult social group....stuff that even I think may not be all that relevant or appropriate for a SNAKE site.
FWIW - and all due respect - what you think is "relevant or appropriate" for this site is not relevant.

The same goes for what *I* think is "relevant or appropriate". Rich has the final say in all matters relating to this site, The End.

Agreed, the premise of this site is to discuss corns and all aspects related to them. But we're all human here, and discussions not related to corns will take place....which, if I understand correctly, was the impetus for the "General Chit-Chat Forum" to begin with. "Any old chit at all", as long as it falls under Rich's guidelines for acceptable behavior.

I remember the schism a few years ago that led to the genesis of ησřnśnakeśőũrce.com - and the content in that particular thread (and the chat log from which it came) had more objectionable content than anything I've ever read in DYK.

YMMV, of course.

Dale

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google