CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

container system

Old 09-10-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
JasonS
container system

my wife and I just got our first corn snake and we are kicking the idea of breeding them, there are so many other color morphs that we want. We know that it is alot of work, but the experience would be worth it. The question is, does any one have a picture of their container system for their breeders? I seen one that used rubbermaid containers and a rack system that looked really efficient. Also, I would assume that you would have to keep the room at 85 degrees because rubbermaid containers and UTH's aren't exactly compatable, or do people use other heat sources. Hey, I am an information sponge, soak me. Thanks

Old 09-10-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
pcar
Cav has posted plans of what his rack system looks like. He has listed materials and pricing. Also has pictures of it. You can find the thread at: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6027

Also, you are right...UTH's will not work with Rubber made or sterilite. You will have to use heat tape. This you will then have to control with a thermometer. Cav also talks about this. He already stated that he will give out help when needed if asked for.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
pcar
I will probably be building one of Cav's rack systems in the next year or two as I am looking at having 2 breeding pairs along with all the hatchlings.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:41 PM   #4
DAND
You can use UTH with tubs. You just have to use a thermostat to regulate the temps. I use UTH as well as a few with back heat. I haven't been able to figure out how to shrink pics to fit here on the site, but if you PM me your e-mail I will e-mail you some pics Sunday after I get back from out of town.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
pcar
DAND, If you have something like Photoshop or Print Shop, you can open a picture and then change the image. In photoshop you would have to take the image and then change the deminsions of the image and canvas to something smaller than it is. Also, if you are using a Digital camera, you can probably change the settings of the Camera so that it takes smaller pics. You can change the size of pictures using a scanner by playing with the picture properties too.

I would like to have pictures of your Set up too. email me

Old 09-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
You can use UTH with tubs. You just have to use a thermostat to regulate the temps. I use UTH as well as a few with back heat. I haven't been able to figure out how to shrink pics to fit here on the site, but if you PM me your e-mail I will e-mail you some pics Sunday after I get back from out of town.
You can use regulated UTH heaters, but it is much more expensive and more dangerous (IMO) than using a heat tape such as Flexwatt.

Jason, a large enough collection of reptiles will eventually necessitate the use of a rack system. I'll be glad to answer any questions that you have. I'd appreciate it if you'd post them on the Rack System thread that Pcar linked to in his post. This helps create a single, easily accessible "one stop" source for rack system information.

Good luck with growing your collection.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
DAND
Just to clarify, I use Flexwatt, not individual UTH heaters. When I said I used UTH I meant a heat source from under the tank/tub. I can see where I was unclear and could have been misunderstood. Sorry.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google