CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

The Reputation System is gone.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:25 AM   #31
breedingcolors
Maybe you can bring it back again with two changes.

One: the posts that are make in the photo gallery are not eligible for rep point.

Two: only those with a predefine minimum rep point or green dot could give bad rep point.

As a newbie, I liked the reputation system. When I helped someone and I had received good point, I was happy as I had felt that I had contributing here. And when I made a bad post (had one time), I knew with the bad points that I had cross the line. I found it a great guide for all of us even if some (like anywhere else) had abused of this system. And when I asked questions, it help me knowing who to trust.

The problem actually with just the number of posts is that, for example, some here have a lot of posts, so for a newbie, they seems like they know what they are talking about. But the posts they made were either all in the photo gallery or for blasting others or give info that are not accurate. If someone had 300 posts and had 3 point, I knew is points was just for posting. If another one had 300 posts but had 20 points and 3 green dots, I knew this person knew probably more here and help more peoples than the other one.

There is always people that abuse any system. And I am not sure that punishing all the peoples here for maybe 2 or 3 is the best option. I understand you Rich, you don't have to be here 24h a day to check us. And I think that with the rep point system, it was a good way to make sure that even when you were not here, we all see that it all goes well here. Without the rep point system, how will we be able to delimited what is good and what is not. How will we be able to tell someone effectively that he or she is in a wrong track, that he or she cross the line?

The rep point were a guide for newbie, a guide to take with a grain of salt, but a good guide. I personally hope it will be back.

Just my 2 newbie cents.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #32
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelyonsking
Just an idea- Is it possible that only contributors could give feedback? That would allow anyone to post, but only those who are devoted enought to contribute to give rep points.

P.S. How soon do you get a contibutor icon after contributing?
Yes, that can be done.

The icon (medallion) shows up as soon as I receive your donation and set it up for you.

girlsnake - sorry, neither one of your suggestions to re-implement the reputation system will work because they take custom programming to implement.

Sorry, but I just do not have time to babysit a few kids on this site that will abuse the reputation system. This site got along fine before I implemented it, so unless there is a way to put it back in where I will not be bothered by such things, then I certainly don't need the headaches. I am getting into my busy season and just do not have the time to mess with children like that cornman1979 fella.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #33
Sasheena
I feel that the reputation system can be abused, it was a sort of nice thing that made people feel good about themselves and about others. I hate seeing it abused. my own reputation points here were not so very high, and made smaller because I did choose to give one negative point for a bad post (and got a retaliatory point from that person).

I think that Rich should do the easiest of the following two options:

Make it positive only or...

Make it positive only except those who are contributors, who can also do negative posts.

whichever is easier for Rich to implement will be acceptable. It allows for pats on the back still and abuse of the system while it still might happen, will not be a rampage of negativity!

Old 03-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #34
Jimmy Johnson
one point

Someone had mentioned something about listing how many snakes you have and how long you have been keeping snakes to use as a guage on who to trust or believe and who not to.
Not a good idea.
I have seen people with only one years experience with a hell of a lot more practical knowldge then some of these supposed experts who have been keeping snakes for twenty years.
Number of years in the hobby does not neccessarily equal usable or exceptable knowledge.
my 2 cents.
As far as the rep points go.... I can take them or leave them.
It was nice to get comments about how your post helped someone but it was aslo a pain when you lost points just because someone disagreed with a post even if the information was correct.
So, as Rich said...The site thrived before rep points and will continue to thrive without.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #35
Jason B.
Well your at it ,why not eliminate points for the number of posts one makes? That would cut back on overall posts and anyone posting can't be acused of doing it for points.

Old 03-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #36
Rich Z
There are a number of options I can use to set in the Reputation system that will control not only how many points a person gets, bet when they get them and how they get them. Obviously I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, however....

Old 03-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #37
CAV
From a business standpoint, the contributor privileges would at least help compensate Rich for his time. If anyone wants to cause mischief, at least it'll cost ‘em.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #38
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
From a business standpoint, the contributor privileges would at least help compensate Rich for his time. If anyone wants to cause mischief, at least it'll cost ‘em.
Yeah, you do have a point there. Maybe there is even more behind it then that. Perhaps the contributors medallion should start meaning a little more then just the fact that someone is willing to donate towards the support of this forum. Perhaps the fact that someone IS willing to spend a few $$ to help around here should be considered a defacto indicator of their reputation around here. And to keep it from being a case where someone could simply buy into this club, I could set it so that the medallion only shows up after the donator has ALSO posted a certain number of posts here.

Heck I don't know. Trying to be fair is not as easy as it would seem on the surface.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #39
mbdorfer
I kind of think cav's point about contributors is good. I don't know how Rich finds the time to run this site and keep all his snakes healthy, let alone all the record keeping, boggles the mind. I sort of feel bad now for raggin on cornputz so much, but I was doing it the grotto, which is what I thought the Red Dot Grotto was for. About the rep thing, I'd rather see something like ebay's feedback, forget about points. If someone visits here regularly for several months,as I have, they can figure out who knows their s*** and who doesn't.

Old 03-06-2005, 04:22 AM   #40
Jason B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B.
Well your at it ,why not eliminate points for the number of posts one makes? That would cut back on overall posts and anyone posting can't be acused of doing it for points.
sorry but I retract what few favorable opinions I had about the rep sytem for the record and for whatever it's worth. It has clearly caused many problems and has hurt people. We all got along better without it. If it is brought back , I will not participate with it in any way.

Added: I'm not trying to be on a high horse, but I'm really missing my first year or so here. This place really kicked butt. Sorry for my own negativity several times.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google