CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

how would somebody go about building a rack system ?

Old 08-16-2002, 03:17 AM   #1
kris (UK)
how would somebody go about building a rack system ?

. . . or how much is a basic rack system to purchase (eg:to hold no more than 10 snakes).

Also , how does a rack ystem work as i have never really understood them. How does it work so that the corn does not escape from the top of the container ? ?? Im not planning to buy or build a rack system. Im just interested on how it works ect..

thanks!!

KRIS

Old 08-16-2002, 04:33 AM   #2
Colleen
Hi Kris
Well in a lidless rack system the containers slide in snug so that the snakes can't slip out. On most the heat tape is either run along the back of each shelf or from top to bottom behind all the shelves. They take up little room for the number of snakes they hold and if you build it yourself they can be relatively inexpensive. If you would rather buy one, there are many kinds to choose from be the price tag with shipping is pretty steep. (at least for me) I still don't know how to put a link on here but Clint Boyer has a great pic of his rack on his site. I think he has a link on his posts, or maybe someone else who knows how can.

Hope this helps
Colleen

Old 08-16-2002, 10:05 AM   #3
SilverTongue
Those who have actually built a rack...What are those lil metel pieces called that holds the tubs...for a lidless racksystem.

Old 08-16-2002, 12:42 PM   #4
kris (UK)
thanks colleen!!

KRIS

Old 08-19-2002, 01:12 AM   #5
Corn Crib
im sorry but what is a "rack system"

corn crib

Old 08-19-2002, 05:47 AM   #6
kris (UK)
a rack system is . . ..

basicly an alternative method to housing your snakes. It is a cost- efficient way of housing snakes if you have a lot (say over 10 or something). All it is , is plastic storage boxes which your snakes are kept in, and they are stored in a sort of "rack system", where they pull out from the rack (like drawers).

KRIS

Old 08-21-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
Matt L
A picture is worth a thousand words, well maybe a hundred--anyway here is my rack system. I opted to use the lids, mainly because I used plywood rather than melamie.

Old 08-21-2002, 03:34 PM   #8
manteca
Question

ummmm. . . just wondering but matt l, where is the pic???

Old 08-21-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
statickaos
www.boaphile.com they have a new rack system on the main page i believe, if not there check "Cages" on the left.. its a really really 5 star version of a rack cage..

Old 08-21-2002, 09:13 PM   #10
statickaos
you say that but don't actually drop a link.. ????

*The cages are DEF expensive if you ask me, I decided to build my own enclosure about a month ago and it cost me about 80 bucks total.. The size of it is 4 feet long, 3 feet high an 2 feet deep. With plexi glass front window, and screening on the back.. Its always cheaper to build ya own!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google