CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

starting to bug me

Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
ghosthousecorns
starting to bug me

OK this is my favorite snake forum, but lately I have been getting a bit discouraged to even participate much anymore. It started with the DYK thread, watching the same people chat about random stuff and rep each other over and over. Then the social groups thing, because ONE random thread wasn't enough I guess? I checked it out, and one group I had joined that just ended up consisting mostly of annoying flirtation between two individuals, now there are a couple of invite only groups with 3 and 6 members respectively, with it seems like more groups starting every day between more groups of friends so they can talk without others being able to see. Whatever happened to just sending PM?
Is it just me but what the heck happened to the main purpose of this forum which to me would be talking about our snakes, sharing stories about them, thoughtful discussions about morphs, posts about pairings? Yes there are still a few posts like this, but more and more I am getting discouraged with the amount of frivolous, unrelated stuff. It gets old to wade through the drivel and try to find relevant things.
TBH I have been posting less and less anyway. I have less time for one thing but also the responses are few when I do bother. I have been in a bad mood all day so what the heck I am just posting this - I call it like I see it. I just really miss seeing more relevant interesting stuff like when Dean used to post the controversial topics, stuff like that.
I fully expect someone to post "If you don't like it GTFO" at me now.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Nanci
Ok, I'll go first. Of my last 99 posts, 33 were snake-related. 36 had to do with other herps or snails or orchids or the weird green thing in the woods. 15 were about my dog or dogs in general, and 15 were of a personal or weather or job-related nature. FWIW.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
LBoz
Jen, I get this way sometimes, too. Everything/everyone will start to bug me. I haven't been on my own forum for days because every single thing I read annoys me. It's hard for me not to think back on how it used to be over there and long for the old times. Like many people, I hate change. I find that if I walk away for a few days, I get a whole new attitude...it can last for weeks or months...or I have to do it again once in a while. I don't know if this would work for you, but it might. (((Jen)))

Old 03-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
ghosthousecorns
Thanks Lori. I have just been on the edge lately and maybe just finding fault in things that I can't change/ have no contol over/ should just accept. What's the point? I don't know, just that today it is just getting on my nerves. I agree maybe it is just time to walk away for a while.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
LBoz
I'm suddenly in that exact same mood, Jen. It's my "I hate the world" mood. If you lived next door, I'd come over with a pitcher of 'Ritas!

Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Jeff Linkchorst
Jen

I have that stuck in a rut feeling as well. The weather is getting better. I have a lot of things I would love to do. But I have to watch where I spend the money. All our vehicles here have cost a small fortune or a mortgage payment plus. I would love to sit and BS with some good people over some margaritas!! hmm maybe or more haha

Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
wade
Jen, I hear you too. I click “New Post” every time I come here and as I read the titles I can’t seem to find anything I want to comment on. I don’t know if it is the posts themselves or me. If you find an answer I sure hope you’ll share it with us.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Caryl
I know what you mean, also, Jen. I love the fact that I've gotten to know people via this forum who share my joys, frustrations, and hopes with snakes. I enjoy the interaction with people on many levels, in and from many perspectives.

I too have gotten tired of an attitude I've seen too much of recently. When it's pointed out that this is a SNAKE site, there's a lot of "you don't know what you're missing," "you don't want anyone to have fun," "shame on you," and a lot of similar ranting. It comes across as juvenile and irritating. The commentary is too often couched in atrocious grammar or text-speak, and any remarks about that are often flamed.

Social groups as a way to keep from clogging up the main site make sense to me. I stay out of DYK these days, but that's me. My philosophy on that is sort of live and let live.

I found this site about a year ago, shortly after acquiring my first corn. I learned a lot, tried to share what I've learned, and shared herpers triumphs and challenges through this site. There have been major changes since then. Maybe after the height of breeding season passes, we can get back to those fascinating discussions. I miss them, too.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
LBoz
Caryl...after reading your post, I'm left wondering...IS it breeding season? I mean, and you KNOW I adore you and am not attacking you, or at least I hope you know this...but during the winter there was a lot of drama here, and the excuse for it was "well, it's not breeding season, so we're all bored." Now that it IS breeding season...it THAT the excuse we're going to go with now?

I'm wondering if everyone's discomfort has more to do with the general "state of the union" or what. There is a definite sense of hostility in the air everywhere you go, it's not just on this site. I'm seeing it and feeling it in many different aspects of my life lately. I try to pinpoint it, but I can't. Even my little scout den is feeling this, and the parents are all snarking on each other. I'm wondering if they're doing a better job of filtering the water? A while back they told us that a wonderful concoction of drugs are in our water tables...I'm thinking that if they added more zoloft to it, the planet might see a sudden decline in hostility.

Myself, I can't just put the blame here or on my own site...I'm feeling angry with the world and from recent communications from other important people in my life, I'm hearing that I'm projecting this out unto the masses. That's the last thing I'd ever WANT to do, but it is definitely happening.

So...we have Jen, Jeff and me...who else is up for 'ritas???

Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
ghosthousecorns
I think Jeff may be on something with the spring/ cabin fever?

I really wish we could all meet IRL over a pitcher and comisserate. It just feels so much better to have a conversation like this in person over a few drinks than read in text. I would definitely spring for the first round - we can put the Zoloft in the ice cubes!

PS I do have to admit it might have nothing to do with snakes but the picture of dog "Plato" all covered up with a blankie is the cutest thing I have seen all week.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google