CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Quarantine setup

Old 08-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
bryanb
Quarantine setup

Well I am now expecting 2 adult females from 2 differant places and I need to set up quarantine. And I figured it would help to show exactly how I was setting it up so 1 I can get any input from the vets and 2 show a cheap and easy setup that takes up very little room.
I picked up these 26.5 qt zip lock tubs with heavy locking lids "my 6 foot boas can't open them" and drilled 6-1/4 inch holes in each side.

They will be lined with paper and each will have a water bowl a rock and 2 6 inch pots with a arch cut out of each for hides.
This is an 8 inch pot to show what they look like.

So in all it's a enclosure less than $20 so if something is wrong the entire thing can be tossed. The two of them will be set on a shelf for 90days minamum with a thermostat controlled heat mat and no worries of escape or contamination.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Joba
Looks good. The only thing I'd probably do differently is quarantine them in separate rooms, since they're coming from different places, and one might have mites or something that could travel to the other.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
MysticExotics
One thing I have done with new incoming animals is pretreat newspaper or paper towels with Provent A Mite, for the new animals.
I used to have an extra bin set up with a stack of pretreated newspaper, and a separate one for the paper towels, just for this purpose.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
bryanb
They are both coming from repitable people Ben Siegel and Travis whistler but both will be looked over and I may do the pre treat thing I still have a couple days before they are here.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
I like that box. I've never seen that type before but it looks really secure.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
bryanb
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I like that box. I've never seen that type before but it looks really secure.
Walmart $11 or something like that and like I said I moved my two boas in one each for 25 hours no escape they are tuff.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb View Post
They are both coming from repitable people Ben Siegel and Travis whistler but both will be looked over and I may do the pre treat thing I still have a couple days before they are here.

But they've been in collections that travel to shows- you can get mites _so_ easy.

Dave Partington even got an accidental leopard gecko once, that snuck into his snake stuff and rode home, only to be discovered months later, still alive.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
bryanb
I will pick up some prevent a mite tomorrow and treat the tubs. Anything I should do to the snakes when they get here as a precaution or just watch them close

Old 08-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
Nanci
I would never use the same anything- water bowls, feeding bins, etc. I would feed on different days, so there is no chance of cross contamination. Don't handle on the same day. Do your existing snakes first, never after the new ones.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
bryanb
Everyone gets their own stuff till I know everyone has a clean bill of health. And I know to work them opposite days. I think all will be fine and if not I have a vet just down the road and away from the other snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google