• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Western Hognose

Walter Smith

CRAZY BOUT' CORNS !!
I've also gotten into the Western Hognose.
Like everyone else I'm sure, I think that these are just so darn cute a hatchlings.

Pic. 1) male ~ Axanthic W. Hognose ~ het Albino
Pic. 2) female ~ Yellow Phase Albino W. Hognose ~ het Axanthic
Pic. 3) female ~ Orange Phase Albino W. Hognose ~ het Axanthic
Pic. 4) female ~ Classic W. Hognose ~ het Lavender

I also have some others not pictured that are:

1.0 Classic het Lavender Albino
0.2 Classic ph Lavender
0.1 Classic poss dbl. het Albino/Axanthic ~ Snow
1.0 Axanthic ph Albino.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 116
You need some nice pure pink pastels. I've been going nuts looking for pure pink pastels, but when found they've either been when I didn't have the funds or were already sold out. It also didn't help that in 2010 New Mexico revised and clarified their importation regs, which resulted in hognose being placed on Group III and labeled venomous. I had ins with NM Dept G&F, but even then it was just too much work permit wise to own a CB hog that had to be purchased out of state. Oddly, I could keep to my heart's desire, within possession limits, of NM-locality WC and NM-produced CB animals. Go figure?! Not a problem now that I'm 1 state east.

I was hoping my kennerlyi would go again this year, but I don't think they locked up even though I'd had them paired for over a month.

That orange is sweet! Steve Sykes (geckos etc.) produces some wicked extreme red albinos. Ever thought about those? If you bug him for any, tell him Chris Newsom (aka TokayKeeper) sent you his way. Steve and I go back within the leopard gecko community and he's one of the good guys.

You need some nice pure pink pastels. I've been going nuts looking for pure pink pastels, but when found they've either been when I didn't have the funds or were already sold out.

I was hoping my kennerlyi would go again this year, but I don't think they locked up even though I'd had them paired for over a month.

That orange is sweet! Steve Sykes (geckos etc.) produces some wicked extreme red albinos. Ever thought about those?

I've heard that the Pink Pastels have problems (like finding them dead for no obvious reason) and being new to the hognose, which are an entirely different ball game as far as breeding than corns, I didn't want to fool with them.

Not sure if you saw the Coral W. Hognose yet, which is a Albino Lavender, but they are much nicer looking than the Pink Pastels, without the problems.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the Extreme Red Albinos, which from what I understand are actually from the Purple lines.
Thinking about the Anacondas as well, but waiting for them to hit their base pricing.
You know how those co-doms drop in price so quickly due to fast production.

I did produce a Lavender this year which was cool.
I bred one of the poss. het females I have and she proved out and only got four good eggs that made full term, so that was awesome.

He is the one at the top of the deli cup !!!

Walter

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 114
Nice hoggies! Wish they were legal here... I'll have to go herping soon and find some to admire. I love their patterns, they are so busy looking! And their scales are so cool!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Nice hoggies! Wish they were legal here... I'll have to go herping soon and find some to admire. I love their patterns, they are so busy looking! And their scales are so cool!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ooh, I'd love to do that! Where is the best place to find them here?

Nice hoggies! I've started to dabble in them as well.....they are definitely pretty cute as babies, and their attitudes are too funny.

Very pretty! I love how they feel. How were the babies to get started feeding??

I actually didn't have to deal wit that on these 4 Nanci.

Reason is, a friend of mine had 3 poss het Lavender females that I took interest in. He told me, take the 3 and all I want in return is a Lavender if one is produced.

So, I shipped him these 4 to pay my debt to him not long after they hatched.
He was good with that. I haven't heard from him yet to see how they are doing, but he has alot of experience with them.

I was told by Rich Hume when I bought the Axanthics & Albinos from him that, if you are going to get into hognose, you are going to need to have toads on hand.........no two ways about it.

I take it that some baby hoggies might be tough to get feeding on TF pinky mice right out of the egg, hence having the toads.
I've also heard tuna juice or fish scent works very well too, then again there is also the almost automatic boiled, but then again I'm not sure if that works as well on hoggies as it does on corns ?? :shrugs:

Walter

My years breeding them I found that if I had late-season hatchlings that refused I could brumate them and get them feeding that next season. Never had one refuse doing that. Been 12 years since I last did nasicus though. My luck with kennerlyi has been non-existent; 3 young that all refused meals including hatchling side-blotch and whiptail lizards, as well as toads. I found it weird, because both my adults are WC and have never skipped a beat on f/t mice.

I love Western Hognose snakes! They were my first choice, but they are unfortunately illegal here, as they are actually native to my province (Alberta). I think the law was meant to stop people from wild catching them, but they decided to make it illegal to buy, own, or sell them here too. Laws suck

Guilty :(

Looks as if a lot of us have been "bitten" by the Hog bug lately LOL! Most of my overseas customers keep buggin me about these darn things so I figured, what the heck, can't hurt to have a few laying around right? :shrugs:

Attachments

• DSCN4371.JPG
    DSCN4371.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN4372.JPG
    DSCN4372.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 48
I have had great success using the juice from canned salmon on picky feeders. Also, they seem to like wet food, so sometimes even just dipping a mouse into their water dish before offering it works wonders!

and being new to the hognose, which are an entirely different ball game as far as breeding than corns

This is my fourth year breeding hogs and I have to say that the breeding and incubation aspect of hogs is exactly as easy as it is for corns, IMO. I brumate everyone at the same time in the same room, do pair intros on the same schedule, and this year I incubated both species in the same cooker.

Nothing is different until after they've hatched!

Right now I have 20 babies that I've offered food to and only 6 of them haven't eaten a f/t pink. And I've offered no other options. Yes, some of them aren't eating reliably yet, but they're at least on their way.

The best advice I can give you is to be as hands off with the babies as possible. This year I stopped doing the helicopter mom thing, I left the eggs alone, not a lot of pics (if any), and I left them together until after they shed (I know a lot of people do this, and with corns as well, but I don't usually). I'm pretty happy with how it's working out.

And sexing them is the easiest.

Good luck, Walter. You're in for some fun!

Back