CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Duct tape?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Gusku
Duct tape?

To save money, I thought to make some of my own hides. The containers I had were very bright inside and I know they like darkness, so I used duct tape on the outside to darken it up. Is this ok? I will trash the hide if it isn't. I just wanted to be sure. I made sure none of it is sticky and that It is all sealed down firmly. But still, health risk?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
I've heard horror stories about snakes getting tangled up and stuck to tape. If the tape ever peels away or the snake manages to get stuck to it somehow, it could mean the end of your snake.

Personally, I would not use any kind of tape in my cages.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Gusku
Alright then. Thanks for letting me know. Looks like instead, I made some awesome paper weights! Time not wasted at all. Just glad I didn't use them. :-)

Old 12-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Depending on the size of your snake -

I've seen people use old cereal boxes, shoe boxes, paper towel tubes, the red clay type flower pots turned upside down, (making hide boxes is fairly easy and you probably have some of these items already on hand.)

Of course for a small fee you can purchase Snake Hides at all the major pet stores and online also.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Distaff
No sticky tape whatsover inside the enclosure. The problems is that the humidity makes the edges peel up a bit, and then the snake gets stuck. I like to make my own hides. To secure down cardboard flaps, I poke a hole with a sturdy sharp threaded needle, sew a couple of stitches, and tie the ends tight.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
nicolefowler2005
I had a horrible mishap with Bella and tape!! You know how some of the screen covers have the gaps in the corners? Well I used tape to cover them and didn't even think about covering the sticky part. When Bella first got her 40 gallon tank she spent a lot of time up on the "ledge" at the top of the cage right under the screen cover and she got stuck to the tape!! It was terrible pulling her off, I even cried but thankfully after the next shed she was totally fine!! It could have been much worse though!!

Nicole

Old 12-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Zincubus
You'd be better painting the hides with something , just do a search online or a new thread to find out the best / safest stuff to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
DollysMom
Another way many of us secure things is hot glue. Just for future reference.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Kalista
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Another way many of us secure things is hot glue. Just for future reference.
Aquarium sealant works well too! I used it for my temp probes/wires since I wasn't sure about the potential for damaging them with hot glue.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
nicolefowler2005
Good idea

Nicole

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google