CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

FAIRLY NEW OWNER VOICING CONCERN

Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
mishangeline
Exclamation FAIRLY NEW OWNER VOICING CONCERN

hello all! i have had my snake since june and he still hasn’t warmed up to me, how long does it usually take? he also pooped today and a yellow powdery substance was also excreted, can anyone help me out with identifying?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Kalista
See: The Poop Thread

It is my understanding that handling our snakes is something that is really for us. Snakes don’t have emotional responses. My guy is curious and watches us move around the room but he’s not seeking our attention as best I can tell.

Over time your snake may be able to identify you as a safe person and be less stressed/flighty while you are handling them but I think that’s about as good as it gets.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishangeline View Post
hello all! i have had my snake since june and he still hasn’t warmed up to me, how long does it usually take? he also pooped today and a yellow powdery substance was also excreted, can anyone help me out with identifying?
Your snake will progress at his own rate and that will depend on the age of the snake, how often you handle him, and how you handle him. I won't argue whether or not snakes make emotional attachments and express happiness as a dog might, but snakes are definitely capable of learning and remembering things. My snake will actually crawl out of his cage and into my hands. But, I've had him for almost 4 years and he was well over a year old before he would do that. If I am holding my snake he seems calm and relaxed. If I offer him to somebody else and allow them to hold him, he immediately starts squirming and trying to get away. He obviously knows what I look like, smell like, taste like or feel like.

Baby snakes see "Big Things" as predators. If your snake is a baby, you probably seem like a big monster coming down upon him every time you pick him up.

When my snake was young, I would tap several times on the cage creating a bit of noise and vibration before sticking my hands into the cage. That way he knew "I was coming in to his space." You should also whenever possible not approach him from above as that is how a wild animal or predator would do, rather with a baby snake it's less stressful to them if you approach them from the side or underneath and sort of scoop them up.

Also, interact with them several minutes a day. Gradually adding more time and longer interactions. If you have other pets Dogs, Cats, Birds, etc, he might smell them and be scared. Wash your hands before and after you handle your snake.

As he gets older and bigger he "Should Calm Down" but I'll say that with a caveat. Although most corn snakes do and make great pets, I have heard of some corn snakes that just remain sort of wild all their life.

As far as the yellowish powdery substance in the poo........ LOL, that's called "Urine." That's how snakes urinate. They typically do it at the same time they poop, and it's usually a powdery substance that can be white or yellow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google