CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

What not another rack thread??

Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
tricksterpup
What not another rack thread??

Well folks, I went ahead an finally built myself another Rack. I used blueapplepaste aka Matt's base design and tweaked it just a tiny bit.
This rack has no heat, i plan on using this as my brumation rack down in the basement but for now its in my heated herp room. I took some photos of it before dragging it upstairs.

Its the base 6 tub unit, with an little space for storing lids. I went a bit loose on the first shelf and a bit tight on the others. Its my first one and I think I did a pretty good job. Matt has this on his website and I swapped out tub sizes for ones that I have and I did not use plastic as he recommends but I used tempered backing board. This stuff is really sturdy. The wood, backing board and timber, which I have plenty left over for a second rack cost me about $75. So I would say $60 over all for the lumber and wheels.
the backing board was about $4.95 a sheet, and I used 3 sheets, the sheets were perfectly cut into to 3 pieces for the Steralite 1756. I was able to get 6 perfect sheets from this, I had to use one more from another board but that was fine. I did not have to cut the backing board since it fit perfectly.

So please enjoy the pictures.
Front

Side

Back

Shelves
This one was a bit loose but dang it fits perfect with a lid.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
darkmorning1
Fancy! i like it. nice rack!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Cam5
Wow!!!

Nice job...how long did it take you?

i like all the details...makes it look like a pro rack rather than a regular book shelf conversion

Old 10-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
tricksterpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam5 View Post
Wow!!!

Nice job...how long did it take you?

i like all the details...makes it look like a pro rack rather than a regular book shelf conversion
Thanks, it took me most of the afternoon but since it was our first one building it. It took about 4 hours, and that is counting finding the wood and parts.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Cam5
4 hours and under 100 dollars?!....
Hmmmm...you are onto something here my friend

Do you have a table saw? or do you think a jig saw would work?

Let me know when you start taking orders

Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
tricksterpup
I dont have any tools, had to to SO's brother in laws and he helped build it.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
Cam5
You gotta love any family member that is willing to build a rack on the weekend!!!
Just another reason to keep the SO happy happy happy

Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #8
The Snake Guru
Mighty fine looking rack there man!

Looks like it'll work really well!

~B~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
racks