CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Open front viv out of 55 gal acrylic tank

Old 10-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
CassieK
Open front viv out of 55 gal acrylic tank

I found a 55 gal acrylic tank on craigslist for $60. The first thing I thought was I bet I can put that on its side and turn it into an open front viv. My wonderful fiancιe Donald did, well all of the work and really got into making it. All together it cost me less than $100 to make. So here we go this is not as good as other DIY but I thought others could benefit from my experience. Please let me know what you think.

Items that will be needed and useful:
• Drill with different size bits
• Dremel with a sander attachment

• Ό’ thick acrylic sheet size dependent on tank for doors
• 1/8’ thick acrylic for divider & optional shelves or can use Ό’
• Acrylic cutter
• Aluminum screening
• Hot glue gun
• Wet erase marker
• Something to hold viv off of ground I used rubber cups

• Shelf supports for shelves and divider so you can remove if need be

• I used wood screws 4 3/8’
• 4 small hinges
• 2 latches of some kind

55 gal acrylic fish tank. can be turned into one large viv 48x20x13 or two smaller vivs 24x20x13 which is what I have done here but with a small twist I made it so I can remove the divider if needed or wanted lol.
The tank

There is no real specific order in which to start. We started by measuring and cutting out a door from the Ό’ sheet of acrylic. (Do not use 1/8’ as it will crack when you drill holes in it. Learned the hard way lol) This is were the dremel comes in handy as you can slowly shave away the corners as to round them out and also to shave down the sides to make the door fit smoothly. Now you need to figure out where you want the hinges. Place them and mark the holes with the marker. Then with the according size bit which should be slightly smaller than the screw, drill the holes in the door. (Tip: let the drill do most of the work don’t press to hard) Also drill holes in the tank making sure they line up as this will decide if the door will work or not. Screw the hinges onto the viv and the door. Next the latch. Mark where the holes should go, drill holes, screw on latch.

You can now measure out the divider with left over material or with the 1/8’ acrylic as thickness does not really matter. If you want you can also use another material that is not clear to make the divider. Find about center, place the divider, and mark where to drill holes for the shelf supports. The holes need to be about the same size, if the supports do not fit just move the drill around in the hole to shave it a bit more till they fit snuggly.

Here is the door and the divider

Measure out the amount of screening you will need and cut it. I used scissors that were in bad shape as cutting the screening will mess up good scissors and damage knifes. Use the hot glue gun and inch by inch glue screen to tank. Make sure to cover the edges so there is not metal sticking out that will cut your snake.
If you choose you can use any left over material to make a shelf. I do not have a pic of the shelf as I am making a rock column out of foam to help support the one end. But for the shelf you do the same as the divider only horizontal instead of vertical. Hot glue can be used to help hold it in place.
Lastly you can put on the cups to hold the viv up off the ground and off the UTH. I have the UTH placed in the middle so that it can heat both sides of the divider and it so far is working quite well.
All that is left to do is decorate and introduce the inhabitant. Oh and of course make sure it is well cleaned and sanitized. I am only showing half of the viv. I need to get more Ό’ acrylic as I pushed to hard on making the door and cracked, that’s why Donald ended up making it lol.
Here is the left side viv all decked out.

Here is Houdini checking out his new digs.

I will post more pics once I have the shelves in and the other door made. Please feel free to comment and make any suggestions as I do not know if it is a good idea to leave the divider clear or if I should cover it with something, and feel free to ask any question.
Thank you and I really hope you enjoy this.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Instead of using that screening and having the mess of the hot glue, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up vents that could easily be installed. Cool idea though. We have a crappy acrylic tank my husband picked up off someones garbage (he collects tanks he finds in peoples garbage...I don't ask...) and I think this would be a great solution on what to do with it.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
jpccusa
My saltwater aquarium is the exact same one, only instead of 48 inches, it is 60" and in the upright position, filled with water.

As far as the vents, hot glue will not stick well to acrylic (and I hope you didn't find out about that the hard way). I would also turn the aquarium over so the vents would be on the top instead of the bottom of the cage (unless you have a specific reason to have them there).

Good work!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
CassieK
Thanks for the input guys I couldnt do the vent thing cause on the one side the person cut the hole bigger for his filter. so there would be a gap with the vent. I really dont mind the glue mess I'm just happy to have an open front tank for so cheap.
We scored the acrylic before glueing to help it and it will hold as long as no one gets rough with it. I wanted the holes on the bottom cause I have been having trouble keeping the humidity up and figured this would help.
TME I'm glad this gave you an idea of what to do with your tanks I was hopeing it would help someone and I thought it was a good idea.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google