CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Ideas for forest themed viv

Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
ArvadaLanee
Oh, wow! I just got the pictures of those display vivs. They are absolutely stunning! I love the colors. That is exactly the type of enclosure I would like to create.
We did end up buying the little bloodred, and after discussing with my boyfriend, we decided that we aren't going to get really elaborate with her first viv, which is a 10 gallon. Instead, we are going to first go ahead and fix up one of the 55 gallons for Nightmare. I know most people stick with a 40 gallon, but we already had two 55 gallons, and I don't think the extra room will hurt. I have been considering trying to create my own foam insert. I like the ones that only come up about half way, so you can still use the magnetic rock ledges and planters if you wanted to. I am still trying to keep in mind the difficulty level of cleaning as well, so I am trying to make sure everything could either be easily removed, and washed, or wiped down easily without needing to be removed. We actually just bought a shop vac, so when we do a complete substrate change, we can remove the decorations, and just suck it out. We also have a really cool LED light strip for the 55 gallon, that have some really cool functions, like sunset, cloud cover, and moonlight. I think that would be nice, so we could have a bit of lighting, without making it too bright for a corn snake. Currently, we don't use any lighting, and there are times I wish we at least had the option of turning on a light, to help see where Nightmare is hiding out. I love the idea of using some pretty flowers, too. I am definitely thinking a trip to Hobby Lobby is in order!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
Distaff
Sounds like it is going to be very pretty. I like the idea of a background that goes up only half way, with magnetic ledges above that.

I've noticed that most vivs are lit flat - that is, all areas have the same level of lighting from the top. I only light one end, which gives a sun/shade effect, and the corn's "basking" ledge under the radient heat panel, is in the shady part, which I think he prefers. Depending on where you space plants with high light requirements, you might want to consider more of a dappled, spot lit effect. Some of those strip LED's are flexible, and can be coiled. (the King of DIY used coiled LED's to good effect in one of his aquarium videos, for VERY bright light.)

Old 03-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
ArvadaLanee
Our light is not flexible. It's just a long strip. It will work to light only the front, or only back, though. It was originally used for a freshwater planted aquarium, but just for display effect, as it isn't bright enough for underwater plants. We have a second light, that it much brighter, but I don't think it would be good for a corn snake. I'm still not sure about using live plants. I have been checking out some websites, like Josh's Frogs, and thinking about it, but it may be easier to stick with silk, or plastic. If I do use any live plants, I would just use low light plants. I don't have the best track record with plants, to be honest. I can take care of animals, and kids, but somehow, I always manage to mess up house plants! I even killed a cactus once. I swear, I followed the care instructions! Lol

Old 03-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #14
Distaff
An artificial arrangement can still be attractive. You can always add in a pot of something live later, if you want. Basic solid green potos, is pretty much bomb proof and ok with lower light, just don't keep the roots soggy.

I kill a lot of plants. Failures abound in the garden, the greenhouse, and in the house vivs. I focus on what does well for me, but am always adding new stuff to see what else will work. That's plants for you. As long as the critters remain in good shape, I don't worry about it.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
ArvadaLanee
Wow. Have you guys seen the website neherp? They have some really cool stuff. I love all the wood choices! And the neat little seed pods! I am loving that spray foam, too. I could probably do a lot with that stuff! Idk how the new girl will be, but Nightmare loves climbing. His hammock is one of his favorite spots, and I noticed that he doesn't burrow into his substrate as much whe he has high places to lounge. I like that because he feels safe, but he's still easy to see, and actually, that's the easiest place to get him out from, because he's always relaxed when he's up there. Oh, I am really thinking I could make him a place he would LOVE, with lots of fun ledges for relaxing. Our snakes are going to be spoiled.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
backafter30
I wouldn't bother with live plants. The snakes won't care one way or the other, there is really no benefit, and they are likely to just smash them aside. My blue Baron's racer smashes his plastic plants in the Avatar cage. Most of the colorful ones were intended for aquariums, so they aren't as sturdy as ones meant to support themselves. Regular silk or plastic ones should do just fine and look better longer, with no light requirements. Plus, you don't have to worry about the snake nosing around in the dirt or excess humidity or water leaking all over. What you see at NEHerps is really intended for dart frog vivariums, which I hope to get into sometime this year, but I will only use fake plants in my snake vivs.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
ArvadaLanee
If I did do any live plants, it would only be one or two in pots, that I could easily remove. I'm still not sure if I want any live plants at all, but I haven't completely ruled it out. The things I liked on that neherp site, were the cool woods, and that foam you can use to make a background. According to their website, there is a kind that is for larger heavier animals, but I'm sure it has to do with the way you use it as well. Those seed pods looked like they could make a cute little hide for a baby corn. I got lucky today, and when I stopped in at Hobby Lobby, all the floral stuff was 50% off, so I got some pretty cool stuff to work with from there. I found some cool looking vines, and twisty branches, and grasses, and cool looking leaves, and only spent $15.00. Not bad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google