CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Corn Snakes Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snakes Wanted Looking for something special and you don't know who has it for sale? Post what you are looking for here and see if you get any bites.

Amber lavs / Amber opals

Old 11-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
SarahP
Amber lavs / Amber opals

Hey guys. Long time no post.

Is anyone producing Amber lavender or Amber opal? I bought a trio some years ago, and recently lost the last one to a mysterious ailment (we're having a necropsy done), but I'd love to know if anyone else has them or is planning to breed them.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
crackerhead
Steve Roylance produces them (Amber Lavenders) under the Amaretto morph name.

Terri

Old 11-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
SarahP
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
Steve Roylance produces them (Amber Lavenders) under the Amaretto morph name.

Terri
Thanks, Terri. I suspected he might be one of the few.I

Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
crackerhead
Also Travis Whistler Reptiles produces them. I checked for you but they sold out this season but will be producing them next year as well.

Terri

Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #5
SarahP
Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
Twolunger
Sarah I'm a big fan of lavenders and lavender morphs. I hope you can buy the amaretto you want. Steve has some awesome lavenders and morphs like amaretto. I bought 1.5 lavenders from him last year and they are the most aggressive eaters in my collection. I also lucked out this year when I was able to buy a sub-adult female amaretto from a guy selling his corn collection. Do let us know what the results of the necropsy showed.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
DennisP
Hi everyone,
I know Sarah hasn't been able to update but I thought I would since I stumbled against the post here.

The full story of these three amber lav's/opals was a complicated one. The first one died somewhat mysteriously after regurging a couple of times. When the second one had some symptoms, we sought Vet help, but she died soon after. We asked for a Necropsy then, but the vet put her in formaldehyde and waited for an opportunity to send to the university "at a reasonable price". When the third started exhibiting symptoms, we begged to get the results of the necropsy for the second, to no avail.

We tried SO hard with the third one, going to (a different) exotic vet constantly, running tests, but sadly we were unable to keep the third alive.

This time we were able to secure a necropsy, done by the local zoo. The result came back: Crypto.

We suspect (but cannot prove) that the three originally had crypto from the breeder we got them from. He had been "getting out of the business" and was selling his stock cheaply. We *suspect* that he found crypto in his breeding operation and instead of facing the financial hit of euthanizing everything, he sold off all his stock, hoping they were not infected.

After we heard about crypto we did a full evaluation of all of our snakes and cleaned everything with ammonia or replaced many tubs and hides. There were two snakes that were showing some symptoms. We quickly quarantined these snakes.

Recently, one of these snakes died (a full adult). The other one is still alive and doing relatively well (smaller meals eaten successfully, only one regurgitate in 6 months or so). No other snake (we have ~~30, corn+ball pythons+boas) has exhibited any symptoms, thank goodness.

And that's about the entire story. I know its been almost a year in coming, but... I at least wanted to write it down here for everyone.

We also just received two beautiful amarettos from Steve so our breeding project can get started again (well, when they grow up anyway)

Old 07-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
DennisP
Also of interest:

The third snake that died (a male) had bred with one of our other females.
The eggs were somewhat sickly, but we had three surviving babies out of 4 hatchlings.

The mother has not shown any signs of crypto.
Neither have the babies.

The vet warned us that the disease may have been transmitted, but it doesn't seem to have been. So I don't think it gets transmitted cloaca-to-cloaca, or mother to baby... it does seem to need to be orally (probably in the water).

Old 07-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
Twolunger
Years ago I bought Leopard geckos from a breeder going out of business, and they had crypto. Thankfully I did not combine them with my other geckos. The new ones looked great for 3 months, but then went downhill fast. All of them died. I can only sympathize with you guys losing beautiful corns like that. Crypto oocysts can infect healthy snakes orally through the water, or through feces. The oocysts have a protective coating and it takes up to 20 minutes for ammonia to destroy them. I usually clean my containers with anti-bacterial soap and then spray full strength ammonia on them, leaving them for 20 minutes, then put out in the Florida sunshine to dry. Then rinse thoroughly.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.