CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

View Poll Results: Where do your corn snakes poop most of the time?
In their enclosure 6 85.71%
On the floor 1 14.29%
On the bed or other furniture 0 0%
On you or another person 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Where do your corn snakes poop most of the time?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
DollysMom
I've only actually been pooped on once. I wasn't paying attention and I guess Mandy just couldn't hold it any longer. It wasn't too bad, but I admit I wouldn't want it to happen all the time.

Just FYI, when you are holding them pre-poop just watch their muscles on their sides, about the last 4 inches above where their vent (aka cloaca) is, very closely. That and watch their tails for lifting. But it is the rhythmic muscle movements are always the first sign something is about to happen. I've seen the first flicker of muscle movement up to two minutes before the "main event."

I always know when it is coming now. I don't try to get anything under them. When I've tried that it has startled and interrupted them. I would rather clean up a healthy "present" than to have a snake who is conditioned to my frantic attempts to get paper under their tail end. It's a personal choice. However, if I'm holding them and I ever see a sign they will be gently and calmly lowered to the floor, right away. That does not involve my grabbing and lifting their tail to get paper under them so is much less invasive to the process.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Jupiter
So I've had Sir Blinky for almost 3 years now, and for the first 2 years he never ever pooped on me, or outside of his enclosure. Then one day last year I was holding him, letting him crawl all on/around me, when he makes his way into the arm hole in my T-shirt, and out of the neck hole. He makes it through ok, but AS SOON as his vent gets up onto my should he begins pooping. He almost came to a stop, but not quite and dragged poop from my shoulder to my neck, smushed under my shirt. It was quite disgusting, but after that he has only pooped outside his cage twice, and never actually on me again. There is a certain twitch he gives before going, I've seen it both times he's went on the floor now, DollysMom summed it up perfectly. Other than those 3 times he always poops in his cage. He used to be super regular about using the same corner, but lately he's been using it in more random areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
DollysMom
Oh no Jupiter. That was an icky one. Glad it hasn't happened since!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #14
Karl_Mcknight
yeah, even an animal as dumb as a snake knows to left its tail.

Well, maybe snakes are not so dumb after all

Old 07-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
DollysMom
No, not dumb at all. A lot smarter than then they get credit for.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #16
LadyJemima
Well, I took Ruby's favorite cork out of her enclosure because she won't come out of it (and I can't get her out when I need to) and replaced it with a beautiful, freshly-cleaned, sanitized piece of driftwood. She proceeded to poop all over it -- in revenge, I believe.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #17
LadyJemima
A few days after eating, they get that tell-tale (or "tell-TAIL") bulge by their vent. I saw this when I brought Tango home and kept him in his viv until he pooped. Which he did right away.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #18
DollysMom
Pooping on things is part of taking possession. Many a cleaned cage has been pooped in immediately.

I thought you had rehomed Ruby. I'm so glad you kept her! Only thing better than one corn snake is two corn snakes.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #19
Mr.Z
The first two were on me. Since then, he's gone in the cage...usually on his hides, in the water, or underneath the paper towels... He doesn't make it easy on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google