CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New Cornsnake Setup-- Need Reviews and Feeding Advice

Old 07-17-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
DryadDruidess
New Cornsnake Setup-- Need Reviews and Feeding Advice

Hello everyone! My very first post on here. Please bear with me. I bought a new albino corn snake yesterday (7/15/17) and would like some input on its tank setup and heating. I'd also like some input on what size feeders I should use. He just ate one pinky today. Photos included! I currently have a 10 gallon with screen lid.

-Zoo Med Aspen Substrate with paper towel lining the very bottom
-2 small log hides
-1 piece mopani wood
-1 vine
-random deco plant

For heat I have a Zoo Med heat pad on one end, size small. I'm the photo it's on the side, but I moved it to the bottom now. I don't have a thermostat and I'm a little confused on what kind to order? I'm getting a thermometer and hydrometer in a couple days. Should I be misting down the entire tank twice daily?

Anyway-- criticism welcome! Please educate me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
the tank looks ok. No need to mist. Too much moisture can cause Mold and health issues. Some people mist in very dry climates when the snake is shedding. Otherwise there's no need to.

The only problem I see is "No Thermostat." Any heat source should have a thermostat. Some of those heat pads can hit over 130 degrees, and this can burn the snake, or at least make him uncomfortable.

Some pet shops sell rheostats, but very few sell thermostats. Most likely you'll have to order online, and then wait for it to arrive. Once it arrives you'll need to hook it up, regulate it, and get it set. It can take a while of messing with it to get it right. You really should have done this before placing the snake in the tank.

I would unplug the heat pad for now so as not to harm the snake, and try to get a thermostat ASAP.

You might also take a 2nd look at the lid on the cage. Make sure it is secure and will not come off. Add clips or straps if possible to secure it. Corn snakes are notorious escape artists and you'd be surprised at how many folks have lost their pet snake because it was able to get out of the cage, usually through the lid.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
DryadDruidess
Thank you. I actually ordered a thermostat off Amazon just a little while ago. I have locks on the tank, but this photo was taken before the snake was added.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #4
DryadDruidess
I really apologize for not having a thermostat. The instructions called for a protective layer of carpet or paper towel to go under the aspen to prevent close contact, and recommended a thermostat only if the temperature in your house is around 80 degrees. Since I'd never seen a thermostat in a store before, I figured it wasn't a safety hazard. How strange more stores don't carry them.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Scrappyeddie77
You might want to get a few digital thermometers you can get them fairly cheap on amazon the ones I use look kind of like this

I personally like them on both sides so as I am walking by I can just look over and see the temps I also have a temp gun but barely use it
You being up in Ohio you might want to think about wrapping the back side of the tank with cardboard glass doesn't hold heat very well

Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
DryadDruidess
I've got that coming! I stole some to test out the temp from some of my other reptiles right now. I spent $15 on one from PetSmart and it was broken. *sigh* Right now it's pretty hot out here (but my house is kept around 72), maybe come fall I should pop on some cardboard?

Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
Scrappyeddie77
I keep my house at 72* as well I just keep the cardboard on all year with out it on I can hear the thermostat kick off and not to much longer I hear it come on again. In my head it is saving the heat pad and electricity

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google