CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Meet Ekans

Old 08-19-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
noraandthenoodle
Meet Ekans

Hello, everyone! It's been a while. I introduced myself here a few months back, when I first got my baby corn snake, Ekans. Well, he's growing so well and I just have to show him off! This first post will be from his first few days, and then I'll update with new photos!

I can't seem to get images to insert the way I want them to, so I'm just going to describe each photo and then they'll all be at the bottom.

PHOTO #1
Here's Ekans when I first got him, still in the container I brought him home in. Shiari was good enough to point out the stuck shed on his tail, something that I'm still struggling with today, and that he's seen a vet for. More on that later!

PHOTO #2
Ekans on his first day in his new home, exploring the driftwood climbing ornament his grandmother (who never thought she'd be fond of a snake) bought him. Unfortunately, Ekans is not the brightest in his class and I had to confiscate this for a while. He liked to try to climb up and wedge himself in the lip of his cage lid looking for a way out, or just chilling. While he never found a way out, on more than one ocassion he DID fall, and wind up stuck by his head or tail, dangling from the lid and squirming until I rescued him. I gave him his climbing ornament back because of all the growing he has done since then; he's gotten big enough to just barely reach the lid on his own, so it's no use keeping him from it.

PHOTOS #3 and 4
Ekans on his first day, exploring the live snake plant I temporarily kept in his viv. Because he is in a 20L and it was absolutely huge for him, I originally was using a makeshift divider to keep his half of the terrarium separate from where I was keeping about six small potted plants. Within hours of coming home he found his way past the divider, so I simply took it out; while 20L is a large enclosure for him, he uses all of it and really liked the plants. For now he is plant-free, though. He's grown enough that he could damage some of the plants I had in with him, and I decided I didn't want to risk him pooping in the soil. Once he's an adult and eating and pooping less frequently I may upgrade him to something significantly larger (he's quite an active boy!) and spend the time on a nice planted viv. I might do some research into bioactive enclosures over the next couple years as he grows.

This was Ekans first day with me, and I still remember how ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED I was as I brought him home. I was too scared to handle him enough to weigh him, because he was so small I thought I might hurt him, but he couldn't have been bigger than 6 grams. I weighed him once he was significantly larger and he weighed 8. When I first started handling I used gloves to help with the nerves, and I'm proud to say that I've now ditched those unless I think I have a poop incoming!

Old 08-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
noraandthenoodle
Isn't it fun to see how our snakes grow up? Ekans has changed a LOT since I got him! Mostly by getting bigger. He also likes being adventurous. Please forgive me for being a little bit of a nerd with the dates on these photos here, I'm using this thread kind of as a journal to view my little guy's progress

Photo #1 July 2, 2017
I was hanging out with this little guy by putting him in my breast pocket! He fit so neatly and just looks so cute that I knew I had a good way to do things with the little guy. Sometimes he liked being in there, other times he wanted nothing to do with it, preferring to be out exploring. But he still looked super cute! But he's growing like a weed, and I don't think he feels as secure in there as he once did. Fortunately fall is coming, and I have a sweater with a nice big front pocket for him to explore!

Photo #2 July 15, 2017
It really blows me away what a sweet snake I got. There have only been a few times where he puffed up and hissed or bluffed at me, and that was back when he got stuck hanging from the cage lid and I had to open the lid, leaving him to fall inside to rescue him. He was understandably shaken. :P I've never had a problem since then, though! I was so nervous when I first got him, but I really couldn't ask for a better beginner snake! It was hard getting a clear photo of him as he explored my fingers, but it's nice to see that he feels comfortable enough to look around and explore as he's handled. He's still quite young but he handles beautifully!

Photo #3 August 3, 2017
He's big enough that I finally gave him back the driftwood climbing ornament that his grandma got him, at much nagging when she came to visit me. My mom was so happy when we got this little treat, seeing how much he enjoyed re-exploring his toy. It's also fun because, while Ekans is still a reclusive snake who would rather not be seen, I've noticed that he's started watching the activity outside of his cage when he's awake. Sometimes I'll notice a tiny little face staring out at me from here, or from his toilet paper tube.

Photo #4 August 17, 2017
Ekans went to see the doctor, and he's grown a lot. He went from approximately 6 grams and 9 inches (unrecorded, but thats what I suspect) to a whopping... Drumroll please... 15 grams! This is his second appointment with his vet, to take a look at the problem of his tail. Unfortunately, while I got the stuck shed off when Shiari was kind enough to mention it, he's had a problem every shed. I thought I got it off every time, but his little tail tip has just gotten worse. He's being monitored to make sure it doesn't get infected, and I've been given instructions and medication to put on him everyday except when he's digesting, so if any pictures of his nasty little tail come up in the future, please know that he's getting veterinary care!

But here's cute little Ekans exploring and trying to find his way out of the weighing bowl. Eventually I took him out and handled him after the nurse recorded his size, while we waited for his doctor. What you CAN'T see in this photograph, is that his eyes are starting to get cloudy and he's a little jumpy from his vision getting fuzzy. Despite that, the vet was very impressed with how well he handles! He can't see very well but was very calm despite being handled by three different people, and all the strange scents in the office. He didn't so much as get squirmy, and the vet was impressed that he tolerates his head being handled, as I tried to push his little nose back into his carrying container when it was time for us to leave.

I really can't say just how happy I am that I went through and got Ekans. I got him at a pet shop that I won't name in this post, but that I admittedly don't have the best opinion of. However, all of the reptiles they had when I was there appeared to be in good health and active, none had mites, and Ekans was just so sweet. I don't think I'll be buying another live animal from them, but I have no regrets about getting my beautiful and well behaved little guy. (He also eats like a champ! I'm going to try and record his feeding one of these days so that I can post that for everyone. There's nothing like that happy mouse face, right?)

Old 08-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
DollysMom
Such a cutie! Thanks for the pictures. Love the snake on the snake plant!

Old 08-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
noraandthenoodle
Why thank you! He's absolutely darling. I might actually put that snake plant back in his enclosure now, he did really love the live plants! I really feel like I lucked out with this little guy

Old 08-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
DollysMom
I think the right snakes find us.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Caryl
It is fun to watch them grow! I love the driftwood ornament from "Grandma." It is really beautiful. And your pocket photo is really a fun idea!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google