• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Where do your corn snakes poop most of the time?

Where do your corn snakes poop most of the time?

• On the bed or other furniture

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On you or another person

• Other

• Total voters

DollysMom

It never gets old!
After cleaning the floor twice today, I wondered if I'm the only one whose corn snakes poop out of their enclosures more often than in. I decided to develop a poll. This is just for fun. If you answer "other" please post telling us where that is.

For the record I don't mind cleaning up. I find the way they poop to be another fascinating part of snake physiology, and I know that they are digesting normally and are healthy when they poop 2 to 3 days after eating (except in shed).

So where do your corn snakes poop most of the time?

Both of mine always decide to wait to poop until I'm holding them!!!! I swear every single time!! If they do happen to go in their cage it's always in the same corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine go on the floor almost all of the time. I get them out 2 to 3 days after feeding and after a brief trip around the living room, I get a snake present. I'm really good at cleaning it up, too, lol.

Rufus has never pooped on me. He always poops in his enclosure, about half the time in his water bowl, the other half just about anywhere inside.

All of my snakes go in their perspective vivs. So far they have never gone on me or the floor. There is however a fist time for everything lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so funny because mine get down on the floor and 10 minutes later it's snake potty time. Since it's both of them, I figure it's more about me than them. Perhaps the fact that I react like they are dogs who have pooped in the grass, with a delighted "good snakey", may have something to do with it.

I do think they get accustomed to a certain way or maybe it's a habit.

When I was a kid we had a pet Rabbit. He always pooped in the same corner of the kitchen. Nowhere else. He did that for years. So we started putting newspaper down in that particular corner of the Kitchen and he always went there. He was allowed to run free in the house because "we knew" he would only go in that one area.

I think Snakes probably have their habits or favorite ways too.

I *knock on wood* haven't been pooped on by an adult corn yet, only babies who I wasn't paying attention to or who are pissed off that I'm holding them. Otherwise everyone poops in their cage.

I've only actually been pooped on once. I wasn't paying attention and I guess Mandy just couldn't hold it any longer. It wasn't too bad, but I admit I wouldn't want it to happen all the time.

Just FYI, when you are holding them pre-poop just watch their muscles on their sides, about the last 4 inches above where their vent (aka cloaca) is, very closely. That and watch their tails for lifting. But it is the rhythmic muscle movements are always the first sign something is about to happen. I've seen the first flicker of muscle movement up to two minutes before the "main event."

I always know when it is coming now. I don't try to get anything under them. When I've tried that it has startled and interrupted them. I would rather clean up a healthy "present" than to have a snake who is conditioned to my frantic attempts to get paper under their tail end. It's a personal choice. However, if I'm holding them and I ever see a sign they will be gently and calmly lowered to the floor, right away. That does not involve my grabbing and lifting their tail to get paper under them so is much less invasive to the process.

So I've had Sir Blinky for almost 3 years now, and for the first 2 years he never ever pooped on me, or outside of his enclosure. Then one day last year I was holding him, letting him crawl all on/around me, when he makes his way into the arm hole in my T-shirt, and out of the neck hole. He makes it through ok, but AS SOON as his vent gets up onto my should he begins pooping. He almost came to a stop, but not quite and dragged poop from my shoulder to my neck, smushed under my shirt. It was quite disgusting, but after that he has only pooped outside his cage twice, and never actually on me again. There is a certain twitch he gives before going, I've seen it both times he's went on the floor now, DollysMom summed it up perfectly. Other than those 3 times he always poops in his cage. He used to be super regular about using the same corner, but lately he's been using it in more random areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I took Ruby's favorite cork out of her enclosure because she won't come out of it (and I can't get her out when I need to) and replaced it with a beautiful, freshly-cleaned, sanitized piece of driftwood. She proceeded to poop all over it -- in revenge, I believe. :laugh:

A few days after eating, they get that tell-tale (or "tell-TAIL") bulge by their vent. I saw this when I brought Tango home and kept him in his viv until he pooped. Which he did right away.

Pooping on things is part of taking possession. Many a cleaned cage has been pooped in immediately.

I thought you had rehomed Ruby. I'm so glad you kept her! Only thing better than one corn snake is two corn snakes.

The first two were on me. Since then, he's gone in the cage...usually on his hides, in the water, or underneath the paper towels... He doesn't make it easy on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back