CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn snake tale rattle question

Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
kayjaypah
Corn snake tale rattle question

What does it mean when a corn snake rattles her tale like a rattler snake when I try to handle her? She will also whip my hand with her tale. Is this common?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
vera_r
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjaypah View Post
What does it mean when a corn snake rattles her tale like a rattler snake when I try to handle her? She will also whip my hand with her tale. Is this common?

How old is she?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
All snakes rattle their tails. It's just that rattlesnakes are the only ones that have the rattles on the end.

But if you ever come upon a king snake or rat snake in a pile of leaves or gravel you'd swear you heard a rattle snake.

Generally snakes rattle their tails as a warning. It means "Leave me alone."

The babies do this because they are scared and see us (people) as a threat or possible predator. Once they get older and get to know you, they usually outgrow the tail rattling.

My Corn snake rattled its tail the very first time I tried to pick it up. It has not done it since.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by vera_r View Post
How old is she?

A little over a year

Old 06-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
All snakes rattle their tails. It's just that rattlesnakes are the only ones that have the rattles on the end.

But if you ever come upon a king snake or rat snake in a pile of leaves or gravel you'd swear you heard a rattle snake.

Generally snakes rattle their tails as a warning. It means "Leave me alone."

The babies do this because they are scared and see us (people) as a threat or possible predator. Once they get older and get to know you, they usually outgrow the tail rattling.

My Corn snake rattled its tail the very first time I tried to pick it up. It has not done it since.

This snake was purchased a few weeks ago. She was already a year old and very friendly. I had no problem handling her the second week and the week after that. It was just this week she started. Could she be starting a shed? Her coloring looks the same, so I can't tell.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
it could be.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
vera_r
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjaypah View Post
This snake was purchased a few weeks ago. She was already a year old and very friendly. I had no problem handling her the second week and the week after that. It was just this week she started. Could she be starting a shed? Her coloring looks the same, so I can't tell.

Mine didn't really show signs of shedding either. Maybe a little duller in color, but I noticed her belly felt rough instead is smooth. She definitely wanted to be left alone right before and right after her shed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google