CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Copperhead in the barn.........How do we handle this??!!?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #51
xreinx
I live in alaska, I worked for naturalists, do you know what I did for them? I guarded them from bears. some of them think as you do, but a vast majority thought human life was more important.

Quote from one of the "bird people" I worked for. " if it draws blood, you have my permission.. no, I ask you to shoot it Please!" (about a bird that was dive bombing her while she was counting eggs in the nest)

snakes are important, all animals are important, yes. but so is human life. if that snake wasent in the barn, Im sure they would have left it alone.. but it was IN the barn, WITH the kids.. how is that Not dire? (this out of a person that works with scared and frightened dogs, (been bitten 3 times in the last 7 years none of the bites were dire (nearly lost the tip of a finger during one of those bites BUT.. no venom was involved) it isnt dire until its dire, a childs life is more important then a snakes. im glad your for the snake, I would be too. IF it wasent so close to those kids.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #52
Cattsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
I do have concern for human life. But I also have concern for reptile life. And you have to understand getting bit my a venomous snake, is very rare. And you can say what you want, but I see it from a naturalist standpoint. There is no reason to kill a snake without an absolute dire situation.
You obviously don't have children. If you did, or if you'd ever seen the horrible scars caused by a rattler bite on a small child, You'd be singing a different tune. ALL life has value, even children, ESPECIALLY children, that cannot protect themselves...

So Mr Naturalist... Name a single species that has care and RAISES their young, that would not KILL another animal to protect said offspring??

Bah, some people are just reatarded.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #53
Cattsy
and apparently I can't spell... serves me right for typing before my coffee!!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #54
Carinata
I have to say that I still firmly believe in the fact that killing a snake that is not bothering you and is just moving along is WRONG! What about dogs?

Quote:
About 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
Almost one in five of those who are bitten :a total of 885,000: require medical attention for dog bite-related injuries
In 2006, more than 31,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of being bitten by dogs.

Children and adult males are at most risk.
Source: CDC http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...revention.html

Lets look at snake bite

Quote:
On average 5 people a year are killed by snakes.
In the US there are approx 8,000 snake bites
When compared to how many are killed by lightning each year, which in a period from 1959 to 1994 was 0.42 people per million USA citizens injuries caused by snakes seems to be a minor problem.
Source: http://www.venomoussnakes.net/

Old 08-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #55
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattsy View Post
You obviously don't have children. If you did, or if you'd ever seen the horrible scars caused by a rattler bite on a small child, You'd be singing a different tune. ALL life has value, even children, ESPECIALLY children, that cannot protect themselves...

So Mr Naturalist... Name a single species that has care and RAISES their young, that would not KILL another animal to protect said offspring??

Bah, some people are just reatarded.
Well if I had children I would relocate the snakes? Even though I never want children. BUT if you think about it snakes were here way before us so what gives us the right to kill them?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #56
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I understand why this had to happen, not trying to judge but I do get a little confused by one thing when people say they killed a dangerous snake: How is approaching a snake with a hoe or shovel to hit it in the head any safer than pushing it into a trash can with a broom? .
I think at the time the snake was in the hay or something, not out in the open being easier to catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthou secorns View Post
I have a feeling many snake bites end up happening because of the person trying to kill the snake. In this case, if I had a snake to get rid of and I needed to approach it with a long handled tool, I would be a lot further away from it and feel much safer while pushing it with a broom compared to how much closer I would have to get in order to be able to decapitate it with a hoe or shovel.
Wouldn't the chances of getting bit be about the same??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
Some day as you get older and have a family of your own and responsibilities to protect them, your pets, and livestock you will understand why certain things have to be done.
It's called the facts of life.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #57
knox
Seeing as I would kill a dog, a shark, heck, even a man to protect my children, why on Earth would killing a snake to protect them cause such a stir?

Again, is killing a hive of wasps, hornets, or yellowjackets wrong if the hive is right outside my door and my family and I risk getting stung? How is this different from the POTENTIAL to get bitten while working in a barn?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #58
knox
We kill animals all the time to improve our lives...

We kill roaches to protect our food and countertops.
We kill mice to protect the same.
We kill cows and chickens and fish to eat.
We kill animals that pose threats to our safety.

This is life. Animals kill other animals as well. Why do humans get such a bad rap?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #59
Carinata
Because humans have ruined the earth? Look around yourself. Buildings, cars, pollution. Sure its our way of life but is it good for nature? If we should be welcome to kill animals that threaten us, why shouldn't snakes be allowed to defend themselves?

Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #60
Carinata
I have something for you to ponder. Dogs. Dogs are one of the leading causes of animal related injuries, yet we allow them in our homes. We allow them to play with our children. We allow them to sit next to us while we eat and sleep. Yet we say snakes are horrible for being in our barns eating our pests.......pitiful if you ask me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google