CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

snake id (copper head?)

Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
MotleyMedusa7
I agree that if he is not able to ID it properly,then he should not be handling it.

http://blogs.lifeandscience.org/greg...vs-copperhead/

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #32
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
Assuming it is a native Alabama species, that would rule out night snakes that have vertical pupils and are relatively (to humans) harmless. All other U.S. snakes (and those in Alabama) with vertical pupils are pit vipers: rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths.

Based on the last third of the body, however, the distinctive blotches look more like what you would see on water snakes (Nerodia sp.) or ratsnakes (Pantherophis sp.) than a copperhead or cottonmouth (Agkistrodon). I suspect it is a water snake or rat snake but the bad picture and blurred head not help identification.

Nevertheless, I would not free handle a snake that I found and could not properly ID. I would suggest the same for the person who caught this one.
Lyre snakes also have slitted pupils. Are they considered a pitviper? or are they a type of night snake? I don't think that they are native to Alabama...

Yes Chip, I believe they found a native as well. I was just playing at Devil's Advocate...

It is always better to air on the side of caution. So think of it as venomous until proven otherwise.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #33
extreme_hypo
Guess

Maybe a small water snake...

Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbreadandmilk View Post
he has been holding it all day and wont listen to me not sure what do to
Have him put the snake in a secure container. Then take him & the snake to the nearest hospital. If it should happen to bite him ( because he's not likely to leave it in the container...) , you'll be at or near a place where he can get medical attention.... And-in most cases.... A proper ID of the snake in question.

That is all.....

Edit: most likely a water snake.... Seeing that your friend isn't reeling in pain from being bitten. Copperheads, while its not likely to kill you, will leave you with a very nice souvenir.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
Chip
In my experience with both, I'd say water snakes are bitier on average than copperheads. Though I've never tried to handle a copperhead more than I had to, when collecting and moving them, some copperheads are quite chill. I don't seem to run across those watersnakes, though I've seen photos of wild ones being barehanded here.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #36
Outcast
When I was stationed in Florida I caught what we called Brown Water snakes, and most of them were docile, as was the banded water snake we caught.... From what I can remember as a child, the copperheads that I would catch (being extremely unsafe, it's a wonder I am as healthy as I am today) were pretty docile as well... Though, knowing what I do now, I would not free handle any venomous anymore...

Old 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
Oscarsdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich333 View Post
Have him put the snake in a secure container. Then take him & the snake to the nearest hospital. If it should happen to bite him ( because he's not likely to leave it in the container...) , you'll be at or near a place where he can get medical attention.... And-in most cases.... A proper ID of the snake in question.

That is all.....

Edit: most likely a water snake.... Seeing that your friend isn't reeling in pain from being bitten. Copperheads, while its not likely to kill you, will leave you with a very nice souvenir.
Not necessarily- out of the 7,000 or so venomous snake bites in the U.S. last year, one of the handful of fatalities that occurred was a copperhead bite and the victim died on the way to the hospital, from anaphylactic shock.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #38
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarsdad View Post
Not necessarily- out of the 7,000 or so venomous snake bites in the U.S. last year, one of the handful of fatalities that occurred was a copperhead bite and the victim died on the way to the hospital, from anaphylactic shock.
Hence the "while not likely".

Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #39
Chip
I'd agree that one out of all the thousands of bites each year falls under "not likely" as well.

My herp buddy who passed away last year was an ER nurse and just our little Asheville Regional/Mission Hospital sees bites each year. The amount of tissue damage can be still be horrendous (and scarring permanent). It is ill-advised to handle any snake you aren't sure what is. I really hope we get some better photos of this one.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #40
cornbreadandmilk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
I'd agree that one out of all the thousands of bites each year falls under "not likely" as well.

My herp buddy who passed away last year was an ER nurse and just our little Asheville Regional/Mission Hospital sees bites each year. The amount of tissue damage can be still be horrendous (and scarring permanent). It is ill-advised to handle any snake you aren't sure what is. I really hope we get some better photos of this one.
i cant seem to squeeze the pics from him.i would really like to know ar this point if not for the slit eyes i would agree on banded water snake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google