CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 01-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Itsnowingcorns
Opinions on WC

OK I finally plucked up the courage to start this thread
I want to know everyone's views on catching wild corns, it's wrong I tell you, wrong!!

Old 01-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Quigs
I feel it really depends what you are talking about here. There are more than one scenario.

I do not agree with collecting hundreds or thousands (just a random number) of anything, not only cornsnakes, and wholesaleing them on the open market.

This is where my opinion differs though. If you live in an area or know someone that does, where cornsnakes thrive in the wild. I see catching, housing and propegating "SOME" wild snakes as "new blood". In all actuality, I think it makes our lines stronger in the long run!

Locale Okeetee's are a great example! And even though I haven't seen Chip on this forum in a long time, I will use him as an example as well.

Chip Bridge's has one of the top lines of locale Okeetee's out there, in my opinion. He collects corns from the Okeetee Hunt Club property and breeds the best looking ones together to produce some phenominal offspring! They are all true locale specimens and they are just stunning!

I think this goes both ways. Of course it's only my opinion.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Traci1
Personally, I think it's fine as long as laws / regulations are being followed for whatever area they are being collected in.

For example, in Pennsylvania, I know I am allowed to catch and keep up to two Eastern Milk Snakes. I am NOT allowed to sell them or even to breed them and sell the offspring. If I would purchase a CB Eastern Milk from a breeder, I need documentation to prove that I did indeed purchase a CB animal and didn't just go out and collect one from the wild in PA.

People need to be aware of the laws in their area and follow them.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Traci1
And I totally agree with what Quigs said too.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
Itsnowingcorns
This is the problem, no matter how much people talk to me about the good of WC I just can't accept it. No I wouldn't have my lovely corns now if they had never been wild caught in the first place. No we wouldn't see all the beautiful colour morphs. No our knowledge of these wonderful creatures would never have become what it is today. But I can't help it, corns in the wild can be left alone now can't they? We've got our captive ones, can't we just leave the wild ones to be wild?

Old 01-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #6
CrazyCorn
I am sorry, but if you don't except it take up a new hobby. You can sing a sad song all you want but it wont stop anything. You are a hypocrite IMHO if you keep corns but are against the collection of WC snakes. Again this is MY OPINION.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
V.F.T.
im with Quigs on this one

Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Itsnowingcorns
Call me a hypocrite if you will, I am against the collection of wild corns, are my corns wild caught? Take a look at my avatar and guess.

Edit: Sorry looking back on that post just want to say I am not meaning to sound rude. I don't want to get into any petty little arguments here.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
mbdorfer
I think Quigs "hit the nail on the head" with this one.
There is an increasing need for new bloodlines in this hobby.
Remember where all the captives came from.
We wouldn't even be talking about this if Dr Bechtel never collected those snakes years ago.
And now I'm plucking up the courage to ask, why you feel so strongly about this, being in the UK

Old 01-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #10
CrazyCorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnowingcorns
Call me a hypocrite if you will, I am against the collection of wild corns, are my corns wild caught? Take a look at my avatar and guess.
Where do you think all the CB corns came from? Do you think they just appeared one day?
Quote:
no matter how much people talk to me about the good of WC I just can't accept it
So why did you start up this thread anyway? You even said you just can't accept it so why did you start this thread? You want to have "petty" arguments about it?
Quote:
it's wrong I tell you, wrong!!
You expect me to take you seriously when you won't even accept others views or opinions?
I don't know what it is but most of the people who post on forums like this wonderful one really have differing opinions about what I do and quite a few people do here in the U.S., Example: I have kingsnakes, I had a few corns to cull so I fed them to my kings, only one person from the UK had anything good to say about it and most of the people from here in the US and Canada were fine with it, just one of many differences you have to accept and I do but I can't help to comment about it when people come here and state irrational things like you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google