CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 02-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #91
Jynx
There are way too many points to argue. People will do things no matter what. And other people will always have an opinion about it. I do understand the point that since there are enough CB leave the WC alone, but again, I own a few WC bullsnakes and az mountain kingsnakes. I didn't HAVE to catch them, I could have bought them. But these are native reptiles to Az, and not many people have them for sale at all. I see both sides of the argument. But without the WC, yes we would have still had CB, but we would have never stumbled on the morphs that make corns so popular (such as your snow).

I do agree with you Snow, and I do find logic in your arguments, but I don't disagree with anyone else either. Out here you don't really find corns in the wild. I would love to go corn-hunting someday on the east coast. Probably not to keep them since I already have enough, but to see my favorite reptiles in their own habitat, so that maybe I will learn how to BETTER care for my CB.

My grandfather always told me, "If it doesn't directly affect you or those around you, leave it alone." I'm in Az, and see no wild corns, so the subject of catching them does not really come up in everyday conversation. As far as I know, there are none in the UK either. Everyone that does hunt for WC does it for their own reasons, and it is legal. Those of us on the outside (like you and I) can have our opinions, but it is merely that.

This thread was an interesting read. I love to hear different opinions. Like was said earlier, "there is nothing like ahealthy debate"

Old 02-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #92
CrazyCorn
I TOTALLY agree with Chip, and I still stand on my stance that you know very little of wild snakes from the way you talk. "Anthropromorphism" Look it up. "Giving human like qualitys to animals". They do not 'feel' like we do, they act on instinct than learned behaivour. I again don't see your reasoning on keeping CB but not WC.
Quote:
The CB ones were BORN to it, there's no way it would ever go into the wild.
No way? They are released all the time and do just fine. I have caught a snake, released it caught it, kept it a while, released it and caught it again yet it was still thriving with no problem. (It had the same weird marking and one scar).
Quote:
Those of us on the outside (like you and I) can have our opinions, but it is merely that.
That is true, I will have to agree to that. I guess I can be a bit biased about the collecting of corns as it is one of the thing I enjoy and do often, only keeping one or two. I know of only a few people who catch corns for sale and they only catch around 20 usually and they don't sell quick (Not a big demand). Oh well I guess I am done beating this long dead horse. 'Stalemate'

Old 02-05-2005, 10:12 PM   #93
Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah14
Guess i dont see the need to catch WC's anymore.
There is a reason to catch wild snakes and it has already been mentioned - the introduction of new blood lines.

I catch about 3 or 4 corns on my farm every year. I have kept a couple of females and one male for breeding and I have sold a few males (to other breeders - not as pets). All others were released. Oops, I forgot, this fall I found a three foot male nearly frozen in my hay barn one morning after a cold front blew in. I am housing him for the winter and will release him in the spring.

I have purchased CB normals to breed with my WC's. I release half of the hatchlings each year, some on the farm and others in the State Forest that borders my farm. In this way I am introducing new blood lines into my local corn population.

As a farmer, I need wild corns on my property to keep the mouse population under check. The mice are attracted to the feed and grain stored on the farm and the corns are attracted to the mice.

I also use my WC corns to educate my neighbors and their farm workers so that they will not kill any corn snakes.

So, if you can explain to me what is wrong with what I am doing then I will listen. Otherwise, I think that you should reconsider your position.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #94
CAV
That's a very unique perspective!

Kudos to you for educating those nonbelievers.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #95
howiet4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
Kudos to you for educating those nonbelievers.

I agree! Very cool...

Santa...sent you an email.....

Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #96
Itsnowingcorns
Thumbs up

Hmm, that IS a unique perspective, if you released ALL of the WC corns in the end I for one would have no problem. And I even give you a thumbs up for taking care of the frozen corn. But how many people do what you do? Not all are as 'generous' IMO.
Crazycorn: I would like to argue again, but won't, I'm tired of the debate between us, stalemate.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #97
Chip
[quote=Itsnowingcorns]Hmm, that IS a unique perspective, if you released ALL of the WC corns in the end I for one would have no problem.

So taking adults out of the wild for breeding seasons (ecologically same as killing them) is okay, but releasing a larger number (while keeping the captives) is a problem? I'll end my input on this thread by reiterating
1) If no one ever caught wild snakes, there would be none in captivity.
2) Who do you think should get the honor of arbitrarily deciding that after a certain number in captivity there are "enough?"

Old 02-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #98
Santa
Yes, I am removing "adults out of the wild for breeding seasons". But that is NOT the same as killing them. Killing them removes them from breeding forever, not just one or two seasons.

However, I still believe that I am doing more good than harm by introducing new blood lines into the local population AND releasing more snakes than I catch.

I don't expect everyone (or anyone for that matter) to "honor" me for what I do. I only wanted to make others think before they decide that catching wild corns is always wrong.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #99
Uncloudy
Thumbs up Santa

I agree with everything Santa has stated, including releasing some back into the wild as rodent control. He's right in that the WC corns are the ones used for breeding proposes and strengthening CB blood lines or locality specific species.
Personally I would never buy a WC specimen except for breeding purposes, but I don't have any problem with people collecting them or obtaining in accordance with their local fish and game state rules.
Uncloudy

Old 02-07-2005, 09:30 AM   #100
Chip
Smile Dear Santa

I was responding to "snowing," not your post. Ecologically speaking, you and I are essentially doing the same thing.
And extra "props" for educating people. That is the most important thing any of us can do for the betterment of the species. Anyone with calm snakes, consider doing a program at a school, church, boys/girls club, any of these places are happy to have someone come in and do a presentation. Especially if you have native local species to teach identification (and bring some photos of local venomous species.) If only one kid leaves wanting to own a snake or at least not kill every one on sight, it is worth our time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google