CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Do you agree with wild catching corns?
Yes 91 59.48%
No 62 40.52%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on WC

Old 01-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #61
eddie1976
Noe trying to beat the dead horse or anyhting but I just thought of another advantage of SOME wild caught. I cannot remember the exact thread wording, maybe someone can help me out, but I saw a beauftiful Yellow okeetee lookig corn on a thread a bit back. If I find the thread I will reference it. But this is just showing that sometimes in the wild there are still interesting anomalies to be found. But I want to still say I do not support the commercial collection of corns for sale, just for strengthening the bloodlines and getting some more interesting stuff out there. Okay I found the link

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...yellow+okeetee

Hope this is easy to copy and paste. NOw if you did not believe in keeping wild caught this specimen would not be found or bred for maybe a new morph.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 PM   #62
CrazyCorn
Quote:
Aren't there enough captive bred corns around. Especially the states should have an overflow
Really we don't have an overflow, ball pythons, Red tails, Leopard Geckos, etc... are more common. I still enjoy having a WC or four around and always will. Oh well I guess some people will never understand... Especially those on the other side of the pond.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:28 PM   #63
Itsnowingcorns
We might not ever understand why WC is so good but will you ever understand why we don't like it? Especially those over the pond

Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #64
CrazyCorn
I do understand, and at this point we can agree to disagree for all I care.

Old 01-10-2005, 06:46 AM   #65
Itsnowingcorns
And I agree to that.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #66
cornman1979
I love a good debate.

I have vote no to wild cought, but it is only because i can't get hold of any (expensive in the UK). I would love a couple especially W/C okeetee, to introduce a "natural W/C" line to my snakes, so i can see both side and their are good valid reasions both for and against.

Quigs were spot on about any new wild traits available being breed into exsiting collections which i do agree with. But i don't agree with mass collection or 7-8 new wild cought every year being introduced into exsisting collections.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #67
Itsnowingcorns
Sounds like you're sort of in the middle here Cornman1979, maybe I should have added an extra option to the poll.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #68
cornman1979
I am a bit.
I don't totaly agree with it, but i don't totaly dis-agree with it eather. Each to their own, and which ever way people go on this poll, i understand both side's and can see the reasoning of both sides as well.

I give up I still can't make a decision eather way on this 1.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #69
oldhand
I believe it helps with keep some of the genitic's true and also help's with producing new strains of corn's. I haven't however had experience with any w/c, but that's what i would imagine.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 PM   #70
CAV
The real issue is responsible collecting versus the indiscriminate taking of animals. Controlled collecting actually benefits native stock as well as the pet trade. Just my .02

Sorry I missed this thread when it was hot!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google