CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Golddust or Ultra Caramel?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Susan
Golddust or Ultra Caramel?

Any and all guesses are welcome! He is the last hatchling of the season, the result of the late and unplaaned pairing of a golddust X golddust (siblings from a butter X golddust pairing). Sorry about the photo quality. Both he and my camera weren't cooperating (shutter/auto-focus button sticking a tad).

Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Susan
Here are comparison photos of, in order:

father after 1st shed and meal
mother after first shed and meal
uncle after 1st shed and meal
father 4 months later
mother 4 months later

Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
vetusvates
Susan, if it is an ultra caramel, I would be interested to know. I have never been positively shown a homozygous ultra as such. What would make my humble newbie self lean in that direction is the lack of yellow (amel gene present allows yellow to mask it and be expressed right?). So lack of what I see as usual golddust yellow...makes me lean toward ultra caramel.
Great pics, by the way, including of the ruby pupil.

EDIT : and those further pics you posted while I was typing...of mom, dad, and uncle,....look more amel-ish. Which would make me think more yellow developing in them as time went/goes by.

Just my humble musings.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Leew
It is a beautiful snake what ever you decide to call it.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
StrangeCargo
The only way to really tell for sure is raise it up and breed it. A few years back I purchased a "golddust" female which turned out to be an Ultra Caramel.... Breed your male to a butter female and as you know, if all the babies are Golddusts, it's an Ultra Caramel.... if you get a mix of both butters and golddusts, then he was just a golddust....

He's "purdy" whatever he is and get even better with age...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google