CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

View Poll Results: What name are you willing to call it?
None: I'm sticking with "bloodred" only. 35 68.63%
Episkiastic 5 9.80%
Diffused 7 13.73%
Other (please post with your answer) 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: are you going to call "bloodred" anything else?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #11
Drizzt80

Don and Rich both, thanks for the response to my Pantherophis example. I understand the reality of mechanically changing the names around your businesses. I thank you Don for the email response from CNAH concerning the name change. I want to share that while I wasn't point fingers at anyone specifically, I think it does show a similarity in the resistence to change that people have. I agree with you 100% on the need, no - necessity!, for dialogue when things must change. It has to be done right.

I feel as though the conversations concerning bloodred/diffuse/episkiastic are getting too nit-picky about this and that and the other thing concerning the proposed name changes. There is so much variation within ALL the morphs, that's the fact of nature! (No slight on Rich, but I have an okeetee that I trust is an okeetee, but don't thnk for a minute 'looks' like an okeetee. I have learned, and understand, the variation expected within normal corns which is what an okeetee really is.)

I view this topic as much simpler than everyone makes it. I think we have to agree that there is always variation in every morph. I think we have to agree that the bloodred/diffuse/episkiastic is a gene (combo?) that affects pattern (whether it also uses color is another debate). I think we have to agree that simpler is always better, and being able to explain bloodred, pewter, and butter diffuse would be easier than bloodred, pewter, and butter bloodred (even if it is only by one or two sentences or disclaimers). I think we have to agree that in the end, each specific color mutation should/could have it's own name, ie pewter, bloodred, butter, snow, etc. etc..

Where's that really leave us? I think before a name is agreed upon, there has to be an agreement that it should change. I personally feel that a lot of the arguements posted aren't arguing against a name change, but are arguing against the use of diffuse or episkiastic, et. al. If that's the case, we need to better come together with a name. I have stated several times (as have others), I don't care what is come up with as long as it 'sounds good'. Basically, that's what I hear in the majority of the other arguments in the past threads on this subject.

I just don't agree with the "I've always used bloodred and understands what it means myself so I'm going to continue to use it." argument. I just can't get over the discrepency between saying Snow Bloodred or Anery Bloodred or Lavendar Bloodred. It's just not 'right', and that to me is what makes it a 'simple' discussion. (I still agree with Don in saying the discussion so far has been necessary, but I believe the track of the discussions is off the mark a bit.)

D80