CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Genes Question

Old 04-20-2004, 06:00 AM   #1
Simon
Genes Question

Okay I have been browsing this forum for quite some time now.

I see that a lot of new genes floating around and all.

So then I came to thinking....

Currently we have

Amel

Anery a
Anery b

Carame (anery c?)

Lavender (anery d?)

Hypo a
Sunkissed (Hypo b)
Lava (Hypo c)
Ultra (hypo d?)

So basically these to work with right?

But then is there another amel gene out there floating around that we don't know?
How come there are all these anery genes and all these hypo genes but then no amel genes floating around?

Or is there an extra amel b that I don't know about?
For example by breeding amel a (the regular amel) to an amel b (whatever this is, it this even exsist) we get normal het amel a and amel b?

Is there such a thing that I am missing or it's just something that we don't even know if it exsist yet?

I don't know...this little question just keeps poping back to my mind and I wanted to know......

sorry to be causing any more confusion at this time when we're still deciding these hypo genes' name....

Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 AM   #2
Menhir
I don't think that I've red any posts about proven different kinds of Amel genes. Why shall we care about genes, that aren't floating around yet???
Or did I miss something... :-/

Old 04-20-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
Simon
Nah I was just thinking.
Could there be another amel gene out there that is floating around..that's all...
cause I like the orange/red coloration on snakes...so I just wanted to know..
that's why it got my head thinking about a second amel gene...lol

Old 04-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
Menhir
For shure there can be such a gene... But there can also be genes for 2 heads or 2 tails floating around somewhere ~hehe~
I was just wondering if you've been reading about something like that.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:03 AM   #5
Simon
Nope~
just thinking...
cause I have been reading too many posts about these Ultra, Lava, Sunkissed, Hypo gene...and then the anery a, charcoal, lavender and caramel genes....

lol..just thought that it wasn't fair for the poor little amel gene...so had to ask....hahahaha

oh well~~

Old 04-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #6
paulh
There could be a second corn snake mutant that prevents melanin from forming; it just hasn't been found yet. I understand that such a mutant has turned up in the Great Plains rat snake. Don Soderburg has been breeding them. On the other hand, an analogue of the corn snake's amelanistic mutant has not been found in the Great Plains rat (yet).

There are two independant albino mutant genes in black rat snakes and boa constrictors. Guess us corn snake fanciers are just unlucky.

Old 04-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #7
Simon
yeah that is what I have been thinking too
there are always different albinos in other snakes...so why not in corns...so that is why I got into thinking too....just thinking though

Old 04-21-2004, 12:30 AM   #8
Bibz
don't telle that to rich, he already as ebnought trouble with hypos, don't bring an other amel in

But for an other amel we could have an amel that would only have red (no orange or yellow) or something like that

but hey it already exists, candy canes are an exaple of that ...

But i don't know how differently melanin could be blocked from appearing on Amels ... a somewhat bloodred pattern ?

Old 04-22-2004, 08:22 PM   #9
Serpwidgets
Ooooh! I LOVE playing "what if" hehe!

In addition to finding an independent form of amel, I think eventually we will find other alleles to the existing amel, probably including a "dilution" type.

In cornsnakes there are two alleles (Normal and Amel) at that locus. In mice there are two additional alleles at what might be the "same" locus, for a total of 4 mutants. (Normal, Chinchilla, Extreme, Himalayan, and Albino.)

The "Albino" allele acts just like our Amelanistic does. (No melanin anywhere, and pink eyes.)

Chinchilla dilutes yellow to white or off-white and makes black just slightly lighter. (Kind of like a "hypo.")

Extreme is a very strong dilution, it dilutes yellow to pure white and black to a greyish chocolate. (Kind of like a super hypo.)

Himilayan dilutes yellow to white, and it dilutes black to creamish whitish in the warm parts, and leaves it pretty dark on the cold parts. (Different colors depending on local body temperature, cool! Too bad ours are cold-blooded, hehe!)

(Source for the above: http://charismaticmice.homestead.com/genetics.html)

The "A" locus on mice has SEVEN alleles! (Oh, and one of them does nothing more than create a white belly, hehe.)

IMO we've only scratched the surface, if horses and mice are any indication. Considering they both have melanin just like corns, I'd think we will run into similar "melanin-affecting" traits sometime.

Also, it will be interesting to see if erythrin (red pigment) can be affected in these ways, too. Will we find an allele to Caramel that is a "full anerythrism" trait? Or something on the Lavender locus? Will there be additional oddball patterns on the same locus as Motley/Striped?

I bet we'll also end up finding at least one more "plain-belly" type of pattern trait that isn't related to the currently known ones. We may even find a mimic of Motley or Stripe.

In rats, there are something like 5 or so "curly hair" traits and you can't tell which is which by looking at them. (Moooohahahahahaha!)

For those who currently think it's complicated and confusing... uhh... it's only going to get "worse."

Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
paulh
Re: Ooooh! I LOVE playing "what if" hehe!

Quote:
Originally posted by Serpwidgets
In addition to finding an independent form of amel, I think eventually we will find other alleles to the existing amel, probably including a "dilution" type.

In cornsnakes there are two alleles (Normal and Amel) at that locus. In mice there are two additional alleles at what might be the "same" locus, for a total of 4 mutants. (Normal, Chinchilla, Extreme, Himalayan, and Albino.)

The "Albino" allele acts just like our Amelanistic does. (No melanin anywhere, and pink eyes.)
Amelanistic in corns and albino in mice don't just look alike, the biochemistry is similar. Both mutants produce a nonfunctional tyrosinase enzyme.

And 10 mutants at one locus is fairly trivial. The fruit fly has over 100 mutants at the w locus.

Quote:
For those who currently think it's complicated and confusing... uhh... it's only going to get "worse."
Right on. No dominant or sexlinked mutants have turned up. Yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google