CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

What reasons do you give?

Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
MegF.
What reasons do you give?

I've had people ask me why I think snakes are such great pets, and what it is about them that attracts people to them. They don't respond like a dog or cat, and they aren't warm and cuddly, but I just love the little suckers!! They are just hypnotic, and so relaxing to be around. What are other people's thoughts on the matter. I'd love to have some real good reason that won't make people look at me cockeyed!

Old 04-06-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
fateamber
I don't have a reason why, but i know what you mean! When one person found out I had snakes she looked scared, but when i told her they live inmy room, she looked horrified! She also said "but aren't snakes venemous?" lol.
Another time I was talking to my friend, and complaining that I wasn't allowed to get any more snakes, she really couldn't uinderstand why I wanted more. Only one person will listen to me talking about them now, and she has snakes too, most people I know, that don't keep snakes, really don't understand why I keep them.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Skye
well, lets see...

they don't bark, I don't have to vacuum up all the fur, my husband isn't allergic to them, I never have to take them out for a walk especially in the rain or snow, they go to sleep for the winter so I can take a break, they don't wake me up in the morning, they don't smell.....I could go on.

But basically, they are just beautiful, fascinating animals.

Skye

Old 04-06-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
Darin Chappell
Most people can comprehend the allure of exotic fish in a tank, even if they don't share the desire to have them. I always just make a comparison to that, and that seems to satisfy most people.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Taceas
I too know what you mean. Every weekend I see my grandmother, she asks how many snakes I have. Like it changes from week to week. And every time I tell her 25, she gets this horrified look on her face. And ultimately the question is next: "Why?!" The next question is: "Do they run around the house?"

Lets count the ways:
They don't make noise, they don't smell, I don't have to clean up after them everyday, they eat once a week, I clean them out once a week, they stay where they're supposed to, they don't knock over my houseplants, poo on the floor, cough up hairballs, have to go outside in all sorts of weather.

In short, they're very easy pets to deal with. Which is what makes it possible to have such a large number of them in a collection. I can't imagine having to take care of 20+ cats or dogs. It'd be a complete zoo for sure.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Simon
I just tell them...
Everything about the snake.

Their feeding habit, their ease of care, being able to handle, no need to take the snake out for poop, just basically everything...including breeding and hatchling and photos~

No need for reasons...I just tell people how much I love them~
haah

Old 04-06-2004, 06:51 PM   #7
mykal
My initial response has to do with how easy they are to maintain. Fish require daily feeding, and water maintenance. Dogs and cats require you to be there a lot (daily feeding, walks etc.). Other pets can make a mess out of your home and its contents.
My job (with lots of over-time) often has odd hours and shifts, so I found that a snake fit what I was looking for in a pet. Feeding about once a week, fresh water every couple days, remove poop as it appears.
And I love to play with my snake.
Easy as pie.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #8
nica_chick412
My reason that I keep snakes is not that they are easy to care for. Don't get me wrong. That is a bonus also. I keep my snakes because I am absolutely in love with them. Some people don't understand that they are individual creatures with likes/dislikes and they have deffinate personalities! I have found a passion with these animals. Almost like they are little kindered spirits Holding my snake is almost like taking a sedative. It is like "chicken soup" for the soul. My family are Christian and they tell me that snakes are evil and a symbolic of evil. I simply tell them that reguardless of what they might think that they symbolize.... they are fascinating amazing creatures. And lets face it... All living creatures need companionship, not just the furry cuddly ones. Can I get an AMEN to that?

Old 04-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
MegF.
Amen!

Old 04-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #10
MegF.
Here's the newest reason. My husband and I had the sad task of putting our 13 1/2 year old Ridgeback to sleep last night. My husband is having a terrible time dealing with it, as Keena was the first pet he's ever had. I gave him C.S. to hold, and he's calmed down quite a bit. Never thought a snake would be a grief therapist, but they are. Very calming influence.