CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

My first python intro, and other news.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
albertagirl
My first python intro, and other news.

Soooo... I was 100% sure I would never get a ball python. Because, you know, they like to go on feeding strikes and that just wasn't something I wanted to deal with. And now I have an african house snake who won't eat, and a ball python who eats every meal like it might be his last. LOL

Anyway, my breeder/dealer/feeder supplier finally wore down my resistance, and I picked out a 2 year old male to add to the family. He's a lesser, and from what I am seeing online, he looks like he's on the lighter/yellower end of the scale for a lesser. Anyway, he's very pretty, and very yellow. Oh yeah, and I named him Epiphany... but I just call him Finn for short.

I haven't managed to get any real good pictures of him yet, but I'll let you guys see a couple of craptacular cell phone shots from the day I got him, and an even worse shot taken more recently. They're SO bad, but they're all I got!!

Anyway, Finn was 800g when I got him, so not a real little guy, and he very quickly taught me how looks can be deceiving. Ball pythons are neither slow, nor is their strike range as small as I thought. The first time I tried to feed him I took a pretty good feeding bite and walked around with a HUGE (compared to my little corns) snake attached to my hand for a few minutes until he let go. So I learned that the mouse needs to be warmer than the hand, and to get longer tongs!! He also likes to strike and hiss REALLY loud when I go to take him out of his cage, so we're working on being friends. He's a sweetheart once he's out, of course.

He's now almost exactly 4', and if I remember correctly he's about 1250g. I have him in a 2'x2' cage, but he's looking really crowded in there, so will probably be getting moved into a 3'x2'... which will leave me with an empty 2'x2'... and we all know what kind of trouble an empty cage causes. 2'x2' is the perfect size for another housie!!

I actually got him last September, but my dog died one week later and that sent me into a bit of a spin for a little while. I'd had her for 10 years so it was a big loss, and then my next oldest, who is also 11, decided to grieve her loss by getting really sick. So for the next couple of months I kind of just took care of the snakes but didn't really handle them or get to know Finn at all in the beginning. Which is why I'm only just introducing him now! I'm a little behind! But I don't want this to be a sad post, so let's get to the pictures!

First two pictures are from the day I brought him home in September, and the last one was taken in March. Super quick shot for measurement purposes. I would say the last shot comes closest to showing true color.

Name:  sept 2016_finn small.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  158.3 KB

Name:  sept 2016 finn small.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  267.2 KB

Name:  march 2017_finn.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  274.0 KB

Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Tavia
He is very pretty!

Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
He is very pretty!
Thank you! I sure wish I could take amazing pictures like you, he's really yellow! At least now with the weather warming up, I should be able to take him outside and try to get some nice natural light shots of him. It snowed all the way through April this year!!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
albertagirl
Better pictures!

Okay, I took the time to try to get some better pictures of my lesser ball python, Finn. I just think he's so pretty! He's my only yellow snake, and my only non-colubrid. I don't think I'll be getting any more ball pythons, at this point I feel like one is enough, but I do really like him. It's nice to have something so different from the others.

It turned out I got quite a few pictures that I liked, so this is going to be another double post. Here are the first 5:

Name:  Finn 3 20170521.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  205.2 KB

Name:  Finn 4 20170521.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  401.6 KB

Name:  Finn 5 20170521.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  247.2 KB

Name:  Finn 7 20170521.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  395.7 KB

Name:  Finn 9 20170521.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  253.9 KB

Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
albertagirl
Here are the last few pictures.

Name:  Finn 2 20170521.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  348.4 KB

Name:  Finn awesome.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  261.5 KB

Name:  Finn 12 20170521.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  218.5 KB

Name:  Finn 10 20170521.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  293.0 KB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google