• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Beautiful Tennessee Grey Rat Snake

Karl_Mcknight

Common Sense Holder
A friend of mine caught this snake today in her driveway sunning himself. She picked him up with a stick, took him over to some bushes and released him. Good for her.

Attachments

• 19884150_1626005237410885_4478498397486104279_n.jpg
    19884150_1626005237410885_4478498397486104279_n.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 64
There are some exceptional grey rats found in the Florida Panhandle. I've never seen one in southwest Florida, but I'm still looking.

Looks like he's eating well. :)

Yes! I said the same thing. It was a beautiful animal. No Trauma observable, estimated close to 6 feet long, well muscled and thick. It was probably the best looking rat snake I've seen in a long time. And it was remarkably docile, no striking, didn't try to slither away.

There are some exceptional grey rats found in the Florida Panhandle. I've never seen one in southwest Florida, but I'm still looking.

I'm certainly no expert on Florida snakes, but I hear there are some really nice Yellow Rat snakes there. The grey rat snakes tend to live farther north. We have a lot of them here in Tennessee.

I've found yellow rat snakes here. I found one of the most beautiful yellow rats about a year ago. It was brighter yellow than most I've seen. I also found a young one about two feet long that was a pretty golden color. I've found several corn snakes and love to see them in the wild.

We get yellow rats here a LOT. They are the ones who like to visit people in their homes! And I've seen a few grey rats. They call them oak snakes. Virtually always super tame.

I was watching the antics of little fish in the canal behind my house and saw a snake swimming underwater. It was 18 inches long, pale yellow, almost white, with brownish stripes down its back. It saw me and took off underwater and I never saw it pop up again.
I know we have banded water snakes here, and I've seen several snakes swimming on the surface of the water, but not underwater for an extended period. Still trying to figure out what it was. I don't think it will last long with the alligators cruising along the canal all day.

it could have been some type of garter snake. They typically have stripes running down their backs and they've been known to go after fish.

That's what I was thinking, but it would have to be an albino if it was a garter. I was a bit surprised that it approached the shore completely under water and after seeing me swam away under water without coming up for air. Now I'll have to keep an eye out for albino garters.

Back