CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bad feeling about this feeding(LOONG)

Old 04-22-2002, 08:52 PM   #1
nicky
Bad feeling about this feeding(LOONG)

hi everyone,
Right now I"ve got a really bad feeling about my cornsnake. I'll telll you how it happened and then ask my question pleas read I'm scared for him. ok here's how it begain...

When I got home from school it was feeding day so After suppper like always I got nickys food ready except today It was different. Usually I do 2 on monday and 2 pinkies on thursday for my 6 month old corn. Hee was kinda small and wasn't ready for fuzzies yet so I figured feeding him 2 a week would be ok since pikies are so small untill he's ready for fuzzies. Today I saw I had olny 3 pinkies so i decided to change his scedual to 3 every monday instead of 4 pinkies 2 and 2. So the first 2 went fine and I figureded he'd eat the last one that was on his hidebox. So I went back to homework. Anyway I came back and he still hadn't eaten it which I thought was normal afterall I had just switched his schedual so I picked him up which he didn't seem to appraicate and I put his face close to the mouse he grabbed in a flash and dropped it he did this 7 times and it gave me the impression that maybe it was too hot after all it had been sitting directly under the light so I then noticed tthe mouses stomach was bubbling which was odd and on the back dark bloodstains were appering??? So anyway he finally took which was a relife but then suddnely as thoe in pain he shoot up toward the roof then down and sqruimd around his cage and I thought to myself"kayla you fool you've given him to much" then with a flash he burred underground.

He's there right now as I type and I'm worried about him. What did I do I'm such a fool i shouldn't of given him that last pinkie it was too much. Now here are my questions should I be worried and switch back to my 2and 2 schedual or just give him some time to adjust to 3 pinkies all at once rather than 2 pinkies on monday and 2 on thursday? Also how long can corns hold there breth? mines been down there for about 15-19 mins is he going to sufficate?

please HELP!!!

Old 04-22-2002, 09:55 PM   #2
Jr Nimeskern
AAAAA sounds like you have the "scared for cornsnake disease!" lol if you fed him to much then he would probably regurgitate it in 2 days... but you probably should bump nicky up to 1 fuzzy... instead of 2 and 2 I use to feed my snow corn which is only 6 months old 2 n 2 also... but then I switched to 1 fuzzy every 3 days... I didnt think my corn would be able to take the 1 fuzzy... but he did... and ever since Ive fed him 1 fuzzy... I think you should switch... your just underestimating NICKY! lol and what kind of substate are you using? I have aspen and they stay under that all day long... I use to have bone sand... and they use to stay under that all day long also... Corns can hold their breath for a VERY VERY long time... thats what i have to say

Old 04-22-2002, 10:00 PM   #3
Iris
Hm...isn't 4 a week for a 6 month kind of a lot? I don't nkow how big Nicky is but mine is...about...15in ?16 in? and he's thriving on 2 a week. If your snake is much bigger than mine, 3 a week is probably ok though.
Don't worry he won't suffocate under the substrate.
Now I don't really know what could have caused that strange behavior, but I don't think he would have begun to swallow it if it was too hot. Maybe someone else ehre could shed some light on this though.

Old 04-23-2002, 03:31 AM   #4
Rachel
Hey Kayla,
As in the previous post I would have thought that 2 every 7-10 days would be fine. My older snake (shes 17 months) gets 2 fluffies every 7 days and that does her fine. My male (he's 5 months) gets 2 pinkies every 7 days too.
As for the bubbling and bloodstains on your mouse....well that was the mouse cooking! It wont have done your snake much harm but he'll probably regurge in a few days! My advise is to feed Nicky every 7-10 days. How big, old is he? If he's eating that much that often you should probably be moving up to a bigger size of mouse. Also, one more thing!! Be really careful about leaving mice out for long times under a heat lamp or heat source. The smell of the flesh can attract flies and god knows what else which could lay eggs. This aint good news for your snake! Hope this helps!
Rachel

Proud owner of not one but two gorgeous snakes: Ike and Murphy!

Old 04-23-2002, 04:37 AM   #5
Simon
Don't worry nicky.....he is going to be alright. Taking just one more pinkie isn't going to do THAT much of a problem to it. If you are really scared......just keep a close eye at it. Make sure that it doesn't regurgite it.......if it does, make sure that you leave it alone for AT LEAST a week (I do mine for 10 days) to build the stomach acid back for it's digestive system. also don't worry about it going down....it just wants to hide and get a good rest.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-23-2002, 07:32 AM   #6
nicky
ok

ya,
my cornsnakes is 2 feet long and a bit and 6 months old. He used to be on 2 pinkies a week but now it's 3 the 2 and 2 thing was too expensive and I think it 3 will be ok when he adjusts. I'm keeping a close eye on nicky I don't know if it's a boy or girl but I sure couldn't sleep last night. He hasn't regugatated yet and I'm kinda hoping he won't. As I think corny said about switching to a fuzzy well I think if my corn seemed to be having troble with 3 then I don't think he can handle a fuzzy the ones the sell at the pet shop are huge my poor nicky would explode so I think if he dosn't regugate then I'll keep it 3 pinkies every 7 days.
thanks for the help I guess I got a bit wound up but still I couldn't
stand seeing him like that thanks. I'll keep an eye on him and tell you if anything happens.
also one other question how excatly does a snake throw up??
THANX!!!

Old 04-23-2002, 12:17 PM   #7
kenalotia
Why don't you try giving him the smallest fuzzy you can get at the shop, next feeding day? If it's really way too huge for him to eat, he just won't get it down. Then you can feed him the pinkies instead. But I think he might surprise you. My guess is that at two feet long, he's big enough to handle a small fuzzy. And fuzzies are pretty cheap, you haven't wasted much money if it turns out he can't handle it after all.

Old 04-23-2002, 12:34 PM   #8
lynn
Don't worry some snake's stretch up more when they feed Iv'e noticed my new one doe's maybe it help's to swallow them better. As for going under the substrate she will just be hiding while she digest's them. Never seen a snake throw up but just the same way it went in I suppose. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:02 AM   #9
Jr Nimeskern
trust me ur 2ft and some long snake can take a fuzzy probably 2! You just havent given it the chance yet... just trust me on this one... when I first bought a fuzzy I was like dang my skinny little snake wont be able to even kill it! but it killed it and sucked it down live! I was like dang!!! just give a fuzzy a try... its alot cheaper to give her/him 1 fuzzy every 3 days then 3 pinkys every 3 days... trust me...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google