CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Weird shedding problem

Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
0TG.
Weird shedding problem

My sunglow sheds the least cleanly out of my three corns.

Recently after one of her sheds I noticed that there was still some skin near the end of her tail. I soaked her tail in luke warm water for five minutes or so and gently rubbed the area. Instead of trying to describe what I'm talking about here, here is a picture (horrible quality but at least you can see what I'm talking about)

See how it gets skinny and then bulges out towards the bottom? Well the skinny part used to be a sliver of unshed skin, that's why I soaked it in water. Now I'm not sure if there is still unshed skin there or what, but has anyone had this happen before? Any recommendations of what I can do? She's due to shed again in the next couple of weeks.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
MegF.
Most likely you're going to lose the tip. It looks like old shed that stuck on there. My amel had a knob like yours did from bad sheds before I got him. It eventually came off to make a smooth tip that was blunted instead of sharp. I keep a close eye on my snakes tail tips to make sure I don't have this happen to any of my other animals. Usually you have to get that little tip off. It seems to stick more often than not.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
0TG.
Thanks for the quick response. Obviously I care more about her welfare than her appearance so a 'stubby tail' will be fine with me. Anything I can do to help? Baths? Or should I just let whatever happens in time happen?

She's eating fine, she just finished a large pinky and I just saw her drink some water so it's not affecting her health as far as I can tell.

How do you go about getting that little tip of unshredded skin off?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
MegF.
I do just what you do. I take a wet paper towel and soak the tip and gently rub off the shed. I would just let nature take it's course and if the tip comes off, it will do so when it wants. I would continue to try to remove any shed left on for now though so that the piece doesn't get more damaged with built up sheds. They don't seem to notice. BTW.. cute little chondro in your avatar. Little Biak or is it a mainland type?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
0TG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF.
I do just what you do. I take a wet paper towel and soak the tip and gently rub off the shed. I would just let nature take it's course and if the tip comes off, it will do so when it wants. I would continue to try to remove any shed left on for now though so that the piece doesn't get more damaged with built up sheds. They don't seem to notice. BTW.. cute little chondro in your avatar. Little Biak or is it a mainland type?
Thanks again for your help.

It's a Merauke. I just got him (actually I don't know what sex it is) a couple weeks ago and he's proven to be one of the most interesting creatures I've ever owned...and I've owned a lot!

Old 03-13-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
MegF.
I should hope you don't have it sexed yet! Where did you get it from? I have 5 in my collection...you'll end up with more!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
0TG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF.
I should hope you don't have it sexed yet! Where did you get it from? I have 5 in my collection...you'll end up with more!
Five!!!

Wow. Well, unlike corns, the fact that they costs hundreds of dollars is my limiting factor. :lol:

....for now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google