CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

what do the more experienced owners think??

Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Blue Apple Herps
Yeah, a 32g snake could definitely take fuzzies. Were you possibly looking at rat fuzzies, or maybe they were mislabeled?

As for the OP, I agree with the other posts. If your corn is ready for double pinks, just feed it double pinks every 5-7 days rather than one twice a week. I personally feed all my snakes from the day they're born once a week, works great for them and its easy for me to mark Saturdays as feeding day.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
patm1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
Yeah, a 32g snake could definitely take fuzzies. Were you possibly looking at rat fuzzies, or maybe they were mislabeled?
Remember, this is just a local shop. There's a large chance that they were just mis-sized. I asked to see them wondering if my snake could handle them, bt I saw that they were too large. It's a big step from pinkies to fuzzies where I get them.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
mynamesrick
my 27g corn went from 2x2g pinks to a 6.5g fuzzie with no problem at all. at first the thing looked way to big but i went with the munson plan and my guy ate it just fine.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
isabella
My normal corn " Isabella" is an 07' so shes 7 months old now. (got her at the M.A.R.S. show last september, she's now on 2 pinks every 5-7 days. She seems very healthy, not to skinny or any thing and probably around 20 inches long. Not sure of weight as I don't have a scale. I was trying to use up the rest but after reading the posts I'm wondering if I should move up a size.

I can see the concern though with the size issue. At my local pet store the next size up seems huge. I'm still new at this but I've read on here before that the prey shouldn't be more then 1 1/2 times the largest part of its body or its head or something like that. (I'd have to go back and read it again to refresh the old memory) Anyways my point is the ones labeled fuzzies at petco where huge compared to what I am feeding now. Probably need to order online to get the right size. Seems petstores aren't good for much if you don't have a cat or dog.LOL

Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
Roy Munson
My own local pet store has a VERY good mouse breeding operation set up, but individual employees have no clue what I mean when I ask for mice based on the descriptions I'm used to (e.g., fuzzies, hoppers, weaneds, etc.). I only use this store's mice for the few snakes I own that demand live. I have to pick out the mice myself. That's why I provided weights when I came up with the "Plan". If your store's "weaneds" are another store's "hoppers" then you can adjust accordingly. But you have to have a clue to begin with. That's one of the reasons that even as the author of the "Plan", I don't always think it's as useful as common sense or the "1.5x girth guideline" when determining prey size. Novice keepers (like Pat) will be reluctant to believe that their snakes can and should accept prey items of the size that the "Plan" and the "1.5x" guidelines recommend. That's ok. Their snakes won't suffer significantly from being a bit underfed.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
patm1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Novice keepers (like Pat) will be reluctant to believe that their snakes can and should accept prey items of the size that the "Plan" and the "1.5x" guidelines recommend. That's ok. Their snakes won't suffer significantly from being a bit underfed.
Exactamundo. It's just very hard visualizing your tiny corn eating something that big when you go to buy mice. But I'm going to go ahead and get fuzzies next time, just to see.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
Spork
I know what you mean pat. My local petsmart has a great selection of Small pinks, pinks, and fuzzies but the next size up is HUGE, like a large mouse , that's when I decided to switch to rodent pro.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #18
Taryn7
Hey Pat - my 30g normal is on what I think are medium to large fuzzies at the moment..Whenever I take one out the packet - I always think they are massive but watching him eat - he has no problems..

Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
patm1313
Well then, fuzzies it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google