CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Food refusal with tank cruising and lid pushing

Old 06-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #51
Raptor
I doubt she was getting too hot. I removed her heat entirely sometime last week when the daily temperatures was hitting the 80s. Now that the AC is on, I'm considering putting her heat back. However, my room is fairly warm, even with AC on, so I'm not sure yet.

She was advertised as a charcoal corn and her pattern does match up with some of the pictures I've found. Though, I imagine the difference would be in headshape.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #52
Nanci
I didn't forget you; I'm gathering up stuff. Thought I was going to a reptile show Saturday but then didn't.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #53
Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I didn't forget you; I'm gathering up stuff. Thought I was going to a reptile show Saturday but then didn't.
I'm not worried. People have lives. x) I do art work for a couple of online games. People who order at do so knowing that it can take me several weeks to get their order done.

So, I understand that people get busy.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #54
Caryl
I'm glad you were able to find some time to work on the tank. Your snake looks like she's enjoying the deep bedding. Here's another tip to promote her staying active. She'll make tunnels and arrange the bedding, and aspen tends to hold the shape into which it's sculpted fairly well. Give her a few days, then go in and fluff it all around again. She'll busy herself in rearranging all over again.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #55
Raptor
Time is mildly scarce here with summer classes. Each class period is covering the equivalent of a week of school during the normal spring/fall semester.

Morana isn't one to tunnel that much. She very rarely does it, preferring to hang out on the top. Even with the larger hides she isn't really using them. She hangs out in the front. Perhaps she enjoys staring at me? Her extremely active behavior seems to have come to a stop. Still, miss chunky needs to lose some weight. I weighed her on Saturday and she's a hefty 740 grams. I've decided to weigh her weekly to keep track of her weight loss.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #56
ratsnakehaven
Another idea...

Save the cardboard inner roll from your paper towels, or anything on a roll, and bury it under the shavings. She might go in there to hide.

She's probably not using the new hides or water jugs, because she's not used to them. Give her time...

PS: Also, think about making a moist hide box (plastic is free from our daily purchases).

Old 06-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #57
Raptor
I use the paper towel/toilet rolls for my mice. Gives them something to chew on and make bedding out of. Morana does occasionally go into the hides/jugs, but not that often. I can't really add much more to the tank since it's starting to get a bit cramped.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #58
ratsnakehaven
"Cramped" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It gives the snake a sense of security. You can do a lot of functional stuff in some cramped spaces...

PS: I used to keep and breed lab mice, over twenty yrs. I used to cut up all kinds of cardboard for them to make little "houses." They would eventually tear up the cardboard for bedding though, so I had to add new material about once a month, or so. I had great mice and liked working with them a lot. But since we moved to AZ, I don't keep them anymore.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #59
Raptor
I enjoy breeding the mice. I know what they've ate and I know how they died. Plus I love the genetics aspect. I had a big success this month: bred my first litter of broken marked babies. I also think I've developed a line of very maternal does. Yesterday, I went and put some old school papers through a paper shredder and gave the mice some. They've all made nests with the material. Keeps them nice and busy.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #60
ratsnakehaven
Sounds like me a few years ago.

I had four ten gallon tanks with one male and three or four females in each, usually. I started with white lab mice from my college, got some genes from a wild mouse a few years along, then added a colored mouse from a pet shop maybe six/seven yrs. in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google