CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #31
MysticExotics
A very wise person once said "it's not a problem, until it is"....
They're your snakes, & if you want to take that risk, obviously, nothing said here will change your mind.
I'm just wondering why someone would even consider housing a snake that is known to eat other snakes (not to mention the fact that any have that capability). IMO, regardless of their age, if they're known to eat other snakes, then why risk it?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #32
boabass6
You may or may not be right, but I will continue to house them together, under the circumstances that they get along wonderfully.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #33
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by boabass6 View Post
You may or may not be right, but I will continue to house them together, under the circumstances that they get along wonderfully.
Good luck with that.
I hope for their sake, that nothing happens.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #34
reptile65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
Good luck with that.
I hope for their sake, that nothing happens.
My thoughts exactly. It would be a shame if something happened to any of the snakes as a result of this...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #35
dan803
That is selfish. Just because they aren't eating each other doesn't mean they get along. Other snakes aren't part of a corn's or bull's diet in nature, that's true. But when they are confined in the same enclosure together especially after feeding, they can accidentally mistake another for food because they can still smell it. I found an example on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRYt9oitG4

It's frustrating how irresponsible people are with snakes. Even if they are eating and showing no sign of illness, stress is still affecting them and shortening their life. If an animal is solitary by nature, the best thing you can do for it in captivity is to keep it that way. It's for a reason.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #36
susang
A little late to the party: yes a corn is capable of eating another snake.
I don't think this is the answer you are looking for. You want an argument, you want to prove your skills as a reptile keeper. Sooooo go for it, but why in the world did you start a thread knowing you would not change your mind and few would agree with you.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #37
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
I don't think this is the answer you are looking for. You want an argument, you want to prove your skills as a reptile keeper. Sooooo go for it, but why in the world did you start a thread knowing you would not change your mind and few would agree with you.
troll cookies...I no longer keep them, for they contain gluten

Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #38
reptile65
[quote=dan803;1292774]I found an example on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRYt9oitG4

QUOTE]

That was really hard to watch. I can't believe the person just sat there and filmed it without doing anything...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #39
Jdog3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
You got a good point there

Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #40
Kronos
The OP's primary question was more about whether corn snakes eat other snakes than it was about whether he should do it or not. He did mention that this was temporary. And he's gotten a variety of answers to that question, along with a lot outrage over cohabbing and not changing his mind. But that didn't seem to be the actual question anyway.

I've had two experiences with cohabbing corns together. In one case I added a corn to an established corn's cage, and the original occupant CLEARLY did not like it. So they were separated.

But in another case, which appears to defy traditional knowledge, I recently obtained a large male/female pair that had been cohabbed together for a while. I still have them together until I move my boas into their new cages (which should be arriving soon). But these two actually appear to prefer staying together. It's not a matter of competing for the best resources, as the room is heated, and there's no real temperature gradient. Even when they're crawling around, it always seems to be together. Certainly there would be some times when they're not together, if they hated each other, but I don't see it. There are absolutely no signs of stress between them. I'm wondering if I'll see stress when they're separated.

And, yes, I understand all the dangers about cohabbing. I certainly don't want the female laying multiple clutches every year. But there are always some snakes that don't follow the rules.

Just wanted to give some of my experiences.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google