CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Need help identifying a regurge (picture included)

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Cassie16
Need help identifying a regurge (picture included)

This may be a stupid question, but can any one help identify this as stool or a regurge?

The pictures are a little poor. There were powdery urates next to this unknown substance, which makes me think it's poop. But, it also has that glossy, shiny look of a regurgitation. The only picture I've seen of one looked like an entire mouse; this had to have been much more digested if it is a regurge.

Here's some background. I have a Snow, and it's very difficult to tell when he's in blue. I kind of sort of thought his eyes might have been cloudy the other day, but I was looking at him through the glass of his viv and didn't have time to get him out. I went on this forum before feeding to read the debates about feeding during the shedding phase just in case. There seemed to be enough people that do it to think it wouldn't hurt.

I fed him two fuzzies (11 grams). He should be on hoppers now, but I wanted to finish out my pack of fuzzies first. He got two fuzzies last week and had no problem.

He was fed yesterday evening- around 8 or 9 pm. I found the poop/regurge this morning. He usually takes a few days to poop after eating.

Just want to get some input to see what if I should follow the regurge protocol or what.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Cassie16
Forgot the Pictures

Here are the pictures

Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Kali
I think it is poop. The shiny glossy you are talking about I've seen before too. Seems to me that there is a reasonable amount of hair in the poop (not really abnormal), and that can look strange. Have you tried pulling a bit of it apart? I think you'll find it's hairs.
Also, how did it smell? Poop doesn't smell nice of course, but a regurge is something you'd really want to run away from.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Cassie16
Kali - I kind of dissected some with a tooth pick (lol) and it did look like there might be some hair, but I really had to squint my eyes to see it. One of the fuzzies was really hairy compared to what I have been given him, if that helps.

As far as smell, it wasn't putrid. When I moved in kind of close to see if there were hairs, I could smell something kind of unpleasant, but not anything I'd want to run away from as you put it!

I'm glad your leaning towards poop. (lol. The immature person in me is going to go ahead and giggle at the previous sentence.)

Is it normal for them to go so soon after eating, though?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Nanci
Looks like poop to me. You can see urates, plus there is that ropey-looking hair from the mouse- that is a very classic poo look.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Cassie16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Looks like poop to me. You can see urates, plus there is that ropey-looking hair from the mouse- that is a very classic poo look.
Oh good. This is definitely the first poop that looked like this. The rest have been much smaller and completely different looking all together. He was being fed as much as five pinkies at a time before I got him. Perhaps his digestive system is becoming more regulated now that I'm following the munson plan?

Thanks for both of your input. I feel much better. I think the possible shedding phase had me a little paranoid. It may have been a slightly stupid question, but it's a learning process!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Kali
No problem. I hope all your problems will be like this one: not a problem at all
The fact that previous poops looked different might be indeed because the mouse had more hair as you said. It doesn't always look exactly the same anyway.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Dorgrim
looks exactly like poop to me! The snakes should poop out hair in a pile just like that with a pile of white/yellowish urates! Dont worry looks totally normal!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
DMong
That is a very typical looking poop....guaranteed. Seems after seeing and cleaning many countless thousands of these over the past four decades, I should be able to ID these pretty darn well by now..LMAO!!

Like the others mentioned, a regurge is absolutely GROTESQUE smelling!! from it actually putrifying(rotting), whereas a poop simply stinks a bit as would be expected.

It's definitely good it wasn't a regurge, because that can cause VERY serious and rapid "domino effect" problems if not addressed properly ASAP!

BTW, if a snake will accept a meal while in "blue" just prior to a shed, then it is perfectly fine. And if an individual doesn't feed while in it's shed cycle, then that's fine too.

cheers, ~Doug

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Cassie16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post
No problem. I hope all your problems will be like this one: not a problem at all
Ahh, me too! I think I've been very lucky with Pangaea so far. He's been a very good first snake, and has led me through a number of "firsts" painlessly and with ease. He's pretty dang cute, too!

In conclusion, I hope everyone was able to thoroughly enjoy these fabulous snake poop pictures!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
regurge, regurgitation, shedding