CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Incomplete shed--> problems?

Old 04-01-2002, 02:20 PM   #1
Iris
Question Incomplete shed--> problems?

My corn shed yesterday and as I was helping him with the last little piece of his tail I noticed that a little piece on his head didn't come off. He HATES having his head touched so as soon as my finger goes near his head he runs away. I can't figure out what to do. Would it lead to any problems if I just left it alone? Would it come off in the next shed? The picture is huge, I know but otherwise you can't see the little piece on the head. I circled it so you know where to look. Any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2002, 02:47 PM   #2
lynn
My corn didn't get it all off her tail before and I used a wet towel and just let her crawl through while I was holding it and that helped to get it off. It may work if you just let him crawl through a wet towel or I notice some people use a box with some damp moss in it. hope it helps

Old 04-01-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Simon
soaking it in luke warm water for at least 15 min and then use a wet paper towel and let it crawl in and it should help to take the old skin off.

Leaving old skin on can cause a problem. The area with the old skin could die and eventually the whole part could fall off. Some of the people on this forum has a problem like that already. But then it doesn't cause them to death.....but still it doesn't look as good.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-01-2002, 02:54 PM   #4
nicky
Lightbulb yeah like Lynn said...

well something you could consider is giving him a warm bath and hope he'll submerg and then let him shed it on his own. Since that won't alway's work sometimes if it's olny a small patch I'll leave it be and next shed it'll be gone. i don't know if it'll work if it dosen't it probably happens in the wild and I don't think it'll make a huge deal?
I dunno just try and give it abath and see wht happens good luck!

Old 04-01-2002, 03:04 PM   #5
Iris
He won't put his head under water and he hates baths..Do you think I should try to use tweezers and pull it off? Maybe that would cause more harm than good...

Old 04-01-2002, 03:20 PM   #6
nicky
Lightbulb ok then let's see...

well I'm no excpert but i don't see much damage i just leaving it on there maybe it'll just naturlly come off? i dunno sorry can't think of much else you could do?

Old 04-01-2002, 03:42 PM   #7
Iris
No no, thanks for all the ideas! I'm just so worried about anything and everything that has to do with this snake..my one and only (so far..) I tend to make a big deal out of minor things..
If it was part of the tail then I'd be worried about the tail falling off or whatever but I don't think his head will fall off! I'll just raise the humidity in the tank a bit and see if he'll get it off on his own.

Old 04-01-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
nicky
Wink good luck!

Ok good luck

Old 04-01-2002, 05:06 PM   #9
Simon
well the head wont fall off.....hahah but then the scale on that part would. I have had experience with that. One of my amels shed and had a bit of old skin stuck on his head. (I didn't notice until it was too late....) The lost scale is still there right at this moment. It kinda looks like a scar on the head....which isn't a nice scene.....But then I do hope that the scale would regrow.....I don't know about this cause I have never been that careless to leave unshed skin on......until the amel.....
so if I was you I would soak it in a container with lid and air holes in and make it soak in there for 15 min and then try and help it peel the old skin off.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-01-2002, 06:38 PM   #10
Iris
hm...well i guess I could make the tank kind of moist for a while and then I'll use a pair of tweezers to peel it off..
once he got his head stuck to a piece of scotch tape and the scales peeled off..for some reason I was just reminded of that!

Well here I go to put a pan of water over the heat pad in Xavier's tank now..I'll report back later about my success/failure and maybe another picture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google