CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Eve - Cape african house snake

Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
albertagirl
Eve - Cape african house snake

Tomorrow morning I get to go pick up my new AHS. She'll be my first non-corn, and I can't wait! She gets her name from her birthday, she was born on Christmas eve... and also it's a little tongue in cheek reference to the Adam and Eve and the serpent story. Plus it's just a pretty name.

I don't know how much of a progression an AHS needs, I don't think they change a whole lot, so this may not be updated much. But here are the pictures of her parents and a picture of her as sent to me by the breeder. Cheers!

Mom
Name:  Eve's mama.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  49.0 KB
Dad (albino)
Name:  Eve's papa.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  66.3 KB
Eve
Name:  Eve July 14 2015.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  222.5 KB

Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
albertagirl
Eve is even prettier in person... and she is definitely *not* a corn snake! What a spaz! LOL. Poor girl nearly escaped. I'll need to be very careful with her until she calms down a little. But for now, a few days to settle in before that work starts. I did manage to get a weight on her, she is 15g.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
DollysMom
Congrats. My son has an Afircan House Snake (not Cape). He's had Norm since 2002 and that snake is the inspiration for my getting my corn snake. So I have warm fuzzy feelings towards AHS.

Eve is lovely. How big (about) will she get? I know there is a size dimorphism in AHS that we don't have in corns.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
albertagirl
Thank you! I believe the females get between 3 and 4 feet.

I'm just hoping it only takes her a few weeks to calm down like my corns did. I know 2002 was a long time ago, but do you remember how long your son's took to be less... um... popcorn-ish? Haha

Old 07-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
DollysMom
I think Norm was always pretty mellow, but as you know, they all have distinct personalities. Lol, you know the routine. Gentle, patient, etc...

Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
albertagirl
Yup they sure do! Well her middle name might end up being jiffy-pop, but hopefully the usual routine works on her as well as it did on the others. All my research indicates that it should.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
Yup they sure do! Well her middle name might end up being jiffy-pop, but hopefully the usual routine works on her as well as it did on the others. All my research indicates that it should.
Best wishes. No doubt your patient care will work. Lol, on the jiffy-pop. She must be a little firecracker!

I'm so looking forward to seeing her progress!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
albertagirl
Not a corn snake!

Well, african house snakes are NOT corn snakes. All my research made them sound like corn snakes, docile, not bitey, a little flighty/nippy as babies but grow out of it quickly... etc. Yet my little 7 month old is not only extremely flighty and defensive, but about 20 times faster than a corn snake. Literally faster than my eyes can even follow. Possibly the speed of light. (Yes, I know that last one was an exaggeration ). She's fast. And bouncy. She bounced/jumped from the substrate to the TOP of the sliding lid when I opened it. That's a 10 inch jump! Had she bounced again before I caught her, she would have been long gone. I never would have caught her.

She also has much bigger teeth. A corn snake hatchling bite feels like velcro. A house snake hatchling bite feels like needles. It's gonna take a while to tame this one down I think. But now that she's settled in, I can get started.

That's the bad news. The good news is she has not musked me (yet), and she had her first meal with me today. I stuffed her mouse full of sugar to make her sweeter. (kidding) And she's as pretty as she is insane, so once she calms down she is going to be awesome!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #9
DollysMom
I knew their teeth were longer, from study, not experience. She does sound like a firecracker! Corns are so mellow that even the flighty ones are undoubtedly calm by comparison. Like I said, Norm is really laid back. Maybe it's just him, or he is a different species of AHS, or maybe it's that the males are more laid back? Anyway, glad she ate. I have every faith in your abilities to handle her.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 AM   #10
albertagirl
I just keep reminding myself that Meridian (my ghost stripe corn) was a wild child too. He never bit, mind you, but he was so flighty he was basically suicidal and it was really stressful to handle him at first. But it only took a few weeks before he slowed down and stopped making me almost poo myself every time I took him out. (Little musking joke there for ya. Too much? Haha) So I'm sure in a month or two I'll look back and this and say "that wasn't so bad". My biggest fear is that I'll lose her. As long as that doesn't happen, we'll be fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google